- FIFTY SIX.

FIFTY SIX.   JEALOUS

ALISA WAS CURRENTLY READING

She was reading the notes that Jeongguk had supplied for her for this tutoring session, and it was all about the story of entitled The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas.

It was a short story that tells of a utopian city called Omelas, where everyone was blissful and happy at the expense of one child's suffering and misery.

The story was their current lesson in Literature, and they had to write a five hundred word reaction paper about it.
The story itself was in English so she had no problems reading it though she couldn't understand most of the underlying concepts in the story.

Which is why she asked Jeongguk to explain it further for her. His explanations were done in Korean, as he admitted that he wasn't that good in English, and she offered to teach him some English in return for helping her out.

"Ahh, I feel really bad for the kid," she found herself sympathizing with the child in the story. "It's terrible for one to suffer in order for others to be happy."

"It's sad because it happens all the time in reality but we're all unaware of one's suffering if we're that happy," Jeongguk said quietly, and the two let his true words sink in.

Alisa breathed out a long sigh. "I'm pretty sure I can write a reaction paper now, there were so many concepts I didn't get on my own! Thank you, Kookie."

Jeongguk gave the blonde one of his rabbit teeth smiles, and Alisa's cheeks began to burn up upon seeing it. This has been happening much frequently lately, and she keeps noticing all the small details about him.

Like how sensitive he is to all kinds of scents and how he always smells his food before taking a bite out of it tentatively. Like how his brown eyes widen whenever he spaces out. Like how he claps whenever he finds something so amusing and he ends up laughing really hard.

She noticed all the tiny things about him that she's never noticed before, and she never even bothered to learn them until very recently.

It was strange, though. She ended up talking to him just so she could get close enough to maybe hook up with him, though all those thoughts were soon abandoned as soon as they grew even closer. She never thought of hooking up with him once, since they began talking.

All she wanted was to get to know him more. All she wanted was to grow even closer to him. All she wanted was to be beside him whenever she could.

Maybe, she was already starting to...

She cleared her throat, shoving those thoughts away from her mind as she focused on reality once again. She searched for anything to talk about, and she immediately remembered the news she was supposed to share with him.

"Oh, I got an 85 in chemistry yesterday," Alisa looked through her clearbook, grinning when she found the quiz she received yesterday with a high mark. She proudly showed off the achievement to her close friend, who had such a huge smile on his face upon seeing her paper.