Chapter 38 - Ceremony

Big lights in a big room. A crowd of people waiting in anticipation. A group of seniors waiting in the back room. Some were waiting in anticipation, others were crying tears of either fear or joy in the back, smearing their otherwise well-placed makeup. Then, there were us: the five seniors in the back, holding hands with their faces down. A few minutes ago, Esmae tearfully begged for us to hold hands. Not wanting her to mark her wet face any longer, we complied and held hands.

Their hands were warm.

But for how much longer?

Soon, the music began to play. We started walking. Walking out into a room bathed in light, I looked around at all the people surrounding us. There were families eagerly leaned against the rails, searching for their children and brothers and sisters that were in the sea of people below. The room was filled with booming voices screaming, "There's my son!" and "Look! There's my baby!"

They were all joyful screams.

But for how much longer?

We eventually piled into rows and sat in chairs. Yet despite that, the noise didn't cease. Even when the principal walked on stage, the crowd was still yelling and crying out their cheers.

They knew it was the beginning of their success story.

But for how much longer?

The static of the mic sounded and quickly, the noise died. Satisfied, he began his speech.

"Students and families of Middle Libentina High School, I am pleased to announce the beginning of the graduation ceremony of the class of 20—."

Once again, the audience and studies erupted into cheer.

Once it died, he continued on:

"It has been a journey these past few years, not only for the students of this establishment but also for you: their parents. You have braved the dangers that loom over this country by sending your children to our school and finally, you have lived to see the end of their adolescent journey. Now, as they finish this chapter of their careers, you will be able to see them be sent off to new places—maybe even foreign countries—in pursuit of what they believe is right for this world. They may leave you behind and never come back. They may leave this hall only to enter another, whether they are dressed in black, white, or both. However, as they leave this one, let us pray that it will not be the last and that like many others who have graduated from this school, their lives with only be paved with success."

More cheers.

"Now, a word from our valedictorian."

A young girl rose from the crowd and made her way to the stage. Upon reaching its steps, I could hear her highs click underneath her black robe, echoing throughout the vicinity. Finally, she reached the mic and lowered it.

"Friends and family, I am Sally Hunt and I am honored to be speaking to you as your valedictorian," she introduced. Then, she continued to her speech.

"My fellow classmates, these past few years, we have gone through literal hell. Although I will not talk about politics tonight—as begged by my friends—I know of the turmoil that has been festering in our country for the past few decades. I have heard someone speak and never heard them speak again; I have loved someone only for them to leave; I have said goodbye to my friends and never saw them again. But my fellow seniors, we have stood strong despite it all. These past few years, we have grown together not only as people but as a group of individuals. While our school laid bare and in ruins, we came to pick it up. While students laid injured and tormented, we came to pick them up. No matter the circumstance, we never stopped helping until the least of us had been helped or put to rest. And that, I believe, deserves an applause."

She turned the page of her sheet. As she did that, there was a weak applause. Underneath her turned down head, I saw her crack a slight smile.

"Like many before us, we yearn to make a difference in not only our community but also our country and the world itself. Based on our class, I know that our urge to help will be able to stand against whatever and whoever opposes us. If you believe that we should find a cure for cancer, let it be done. If you believe in helping the poor and needy, let it be done. If you believe that we should find peace in this world, let it be done. Whatever it is that you desire, let it be done—where there's a will, there's a way. And I know that our class has a will, so we will find a way! We do not know each other's names, but there's no need in knowing that. All we need to know is that every single one of us has a heart and we want to make a difference. That is the heart of every senior in here and that is what matters."

She turned another page.

"As we end this chapter together, know that this is not the end. There are many things that we haven't done, and I can't wait to see all that we can do. Not only for our community but for the world." Looking up at us, she finally smiled. "Thank you."

She left the stage silently, but that was the only thing that was left silent. All over the room, people were clapping, applauding her for her speech. And she recognized it and it was obvious that she was proud of it, despite her face being hidden behind her blunt-cut, wavy chestnut locks.

The rest of the ceremony continued without a hitch. People went on stage, shook the hands of their teachers and counselors and staff, and walked off. Up and down—it was done. It was one of the simplest things that we had to do in the coming days.

I walked onto the stage and shook the hands of teachers whose names I only partially knew. Still, I kept a fake smile spread across my face as I accepted my diploma and had my picture taken. I had to keep up the act for the sake of my image.

But for how much longer?

I sat back down in my seat. Next to me, I saw Esmae and nodding her head as she clutched her diploma and Dani murmuring something in her ear. Right next to her, Kirk was talking to other graduates, probably because he wanted to marvel in his last minutes not only as a senior but as a teenager. Next to me, I could hear Phil's voice.

"Are you ready?"

"Yes," I stated softly, my breath not hitching.

"But for how much longer?"

"As long as I can," I responded back.

Suddenly, balloons began to drop from the ceiling and landed on our heads. Music began to play again but this time, it was merrier. Once again, it was filled with happiness. Looking around, I couldn't help but be overwhelmed with their feeling of victory. I was ready. And looking back at the others, they looked ready.

But for how much longer?