Chapter 44 - Little Birdy

Fancy corridors decorated with paintings of a family framed with gold. There were rugs of genuine animal fur placed on the intricately paneled floor of some corridors. These corridors led to none other than a ballroom, a ballroom that spanned maybe the size of one of the many grand lakes in the kingdom, some lakes that are filled with a bountiful amount of fish whose waters wet the grass and help create flourishing produce. The walls were made of delicate glass that could easily be shattered by maybe even the lowest of voices. They spanned high like the entrance, except there were angels and stars above that seemed to be singing their hallelujahs. It was almost a shame that its other décor were the likes of something filthy like decapitated heads and arms and legs—it was almost a shame that it had to be decorated like this.

But as we reached the ballroom, we soon realized who had done it all and without much ado, she began to sing:

Little birdies, why have you forsaken me?

With your songs as sweet as cinnamon,

I was merely your puppet—I fed you and kept you up high

Yet here I am, sitting, singing my own lullaby

I must say, I am perplexed by my own innocence

But I know that I reaped what I sowed with my sins

Yet still, I regret that this is the way that our sonata ends

But I suppose that is the way that the wind bends

So truly, I should've expected this lullaby

And should have kept loving you despite it

I should have never brought you against the trees

For little birdies, you were meant to forsake me

Immediately, Dani recognized the tune. "It's Tune for the Little Birdies," she said. "One of our country's traditional tunes."

"Correct, little birdie," Viola chimed, keeping her sing-song voice. Standing up, she revealed her long, torn pink dress that was bedazzled with pearls and priceless jewels. Twirling a little in it, letting the chiffon dazzle in the sunlight, she said, "It's Tune for the Little Birdies—one of my favorite lullabies. When I was younger, my mother used to always sing it to me. It is, after all, an anthem for the poor. It eases their pain of 'being abandoned by the Regality,' so to speak."

In a softer voice and looking away, she whispered, "Not that it matters to me anymore." Looking back, she spread her arms wide, revealing the daggers she had hidden underneath. They decorated her along her garter belt, and underneath her sleeves, I could see more metal dazzle.

"It is time!" she exclaimed, her voice echoing in the empty ballroom. "It is time for you to join us—join the monarchy, join those whose purpose will be fulfilled today! Once I finish my dosage, it will be time for me to embrace immortality!"

Leaning down, she grabbed a capsule. Opening it, she consumed the last pills in the bottle. Then, with a satisfied sigh, she raised it to the sky, letting the sun beat down on it. "For Libentina!"

Suddenly, a shot was heard. It, too, echoed throughout the room.

Then, her body fell. She clutched her head. Taking her hand away from it, she looked at it. In an instant, she began shrieking.

Footsteps could be heard coming from the left side of the balcony. Her eyes went to them and so did ours. In the shadows, a figure emerged.

It was Katherine. She was dressed in a simple, dirty nightgown. A simple gun was in her hand. Leaning down, she grabbed the woman by her dress. Then, loud enough for everyone to hear, she spat, "For Libentina." Another shot was heard. She threw her body away.

She looked at us. I felt her cold eyes rest on me. She smirked. Then, throwing it aside, she grabbed one of the blades from Viola's body. Slowly, she pulled it out of its stash and out of her belt.

Then, she flew at us.