Chapter One: Running

"Just yank it!" I say frantically to my husband. I feel him tugging at the zipper.

"Baby, it won't go."

"No, no no no, that's impossible. It fit perfect two weeks ago!"

"The zipper is probably broken." He says calmly.

"Fuck it! I'm not going."

"Sweetheart, you have to go." He says gently.

"Get me out of this dress please. Please unzip it."

I feel the zipper doing down and I slip out of the dress, marching out of the bedroom in my panties.

"Sweetheart, you're Megan's maid of honor and I'm Justin's best man. You have to go." Danny says gently.

"How? I can't get into the damn dress."

"Let's just try one more time." He says gently. "I think the zipper is broken."

I cover my breasts with my hands and stare out the window at the water.

I feel his hands on my arms and his lips press softly on my cheek.

"Come on sweetheart, let's try one more time."

I know I have to go to that wedding, so I take a deep breath and walk back into the bathroom, my heels clicking on the floor.

"By the way," Danny says following me. "We should have sex sometimes with your heels on. I kind of dig it."

"We can have sex right now. Let's just stay home."

"Megan needs you." He says. "We can have all the sex you want tonight."

I sigh.

"Fine."

He helps me get the dress on. It slides easily over my hips.

"This time, squish them down." He says.

I get the fabric over my breasts and press on them, wincing.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to start my period soon.

He tugs on the zipper a little bit and then it slides right up.

"See?" He says. "You're in!"

I look in the mirror to make sure my makeup is on point, and then I turn to my husband. He's wearing the tuxedo and the purple bow tie and I'm wearing the purple dress that matches his bow tie.

I reach up to fix his hair and then walk into the bedroom, grabbing m clutch purse off of my bed.

"When we get home, we're having a gym installed downstairs."

"You don't need a gym." He sighs. "You're incredibly beautiful."

"In a week I'm going to be fat. You watch."

I march down the stairs, my heels clicking on the wood floors. I walk into the kitchen and pour Pepper's bowl of dog food so it's full.

Danny follows me down to the basement and I walk into the garage, turning to him.

"Let's take your car." He says.

"Fine, but I'm driving." I take the keys to my Jeep from his hand and unlock it.

Upon getting inside, I hit the button to open the garage door. Danny gets into the car too and I back out.

Megan is getting married here in Wilmington at the same park Danny and I got engaged at. If you look across the water from our backyard, you can see the park.