Chapter Ten: Shopping

I really didn't want to cry but I ended up going upstairs and crying anyways, and I was mad because my Dad put stress on the baby, and I was mad because I cried.

Now I'm sitting on the couch in Danny and I's sitting room in our bedroom, watching the snow fall out the window. I took the blanket off our bed and wrapped my body in it.

Danny came up here four times and I sent him away, so he sent Abby and I sent her away too, and both of my grandparents have come up here, Beatrice came up here...but I told them to get out.

They've left me alone for a while, and then I hear knocking on the bedroom door.

I don't respond, but after a second the door opens and closes and I hear footsteps on the carpet.

Caleb sits down next to me on the couch.

"Just-"

"I'm not leaving." He says, looking at me. "I'm going to sit here with you in silence."

I open my mouth to protest but he just grabs the other end of the blanket and pulls it over his lap.

I don't say a word to him and he doesn't say anything to me, but it makes me feel better to know I'm not sitting here alone, so I ask the one question I can't get out of my head.

"Do you think I'm going to turn out like my parents?"

He looks at me and hesitates.

"You already haven't."

I look down at my hands.

"I probably have you and Beatrice to thank for that. You guys are more parents to me than mine have been in a long time."

He sighs.

"I just wish my Dad didn't come over today. I don't want to be sad. I want to focus on the baby and Danny. This day should be happy. It's Christmas."

"Grace, the only reason this day isn't happy is because you're in here alone. I know you're upset but at least go downstairs and pretend to be happy."

I look at my father-in-law.

"I'm done, Caleb. I'm done trying with him. Danny and I, we don't need this. Our daughter does need this. I'm done trying to have parents. I don't need them. I'm happier without them. I'll protect Micah by keeping him away from my parents, and I'll protect my daughter by giving up on my parents. There's no point. They don't care."

He's quiet and I wait for him to say something.

"I'm sorry." He says finally.

"It's not your fault." I say, standing up. "Let's go downstairs."

He stands up and I grab the comforter and throw it on the bed, walking out of the bedroom and down the stairs.

*****

"I never thought this would happen to me." I mutter, scrolling through my laptop.

Miley and Megan laugh and Abby rolls her eyes.

On my screen is a website that sells bras, because I went from at 32D to a 34F.

That's right. A 34F.

My breasts are enormous and they're so sensitive. My nipples burn when something rubs against them.

It's only been four weeks but my body has been changing rapidly. My jeans are too tight so I had to get maternity clothes. My shirts are too tight because my breasts are large, and I have a little tiny bump. To a blind eye, you can't tell I'm pregnant, but somebody that knows me knows I'm pregnant.