What is Happiness?

This isn't a poem but I still thought some people might need to read this...

* * *

What is Happiness?

Happiness is a feeling we all like to think we know and understand, yet it is something we still have difficulties describing and explaining. Perhaps it is a concept much too complex to vocalize, much too personal to associate with others. But still, many people can relate to other's experiences, meaning there must be a commun ground for what defines happiness.

For me, happiness first comes from myself. I need to get on the same level as my feelings and capabilities, and be proud of being who I am. Once I learn to accept myself, I already see the world through a lense of happiness. The next step is to appreciate what is around me and be grateful for the things I own or experience, no matter how small or insignificant. Gratitude truly helps to achieve joy. After that, I almost constantly feel happy. A simple example to illustrate this would be a casual day in company of my friends, on which I feel lucky to have them by my side. This type of realization boosts my mood and allows me to be happy with whatever life can offer me.

However, as mentionned before, happiness is a commun feeling, yes, but with relative factors. For some people, they can not achieve a sense of happiness without the help of others in forms of love, support, and/or constant presence. On the contrary, some will be much happier if they are independent and feel in control of their lives. Therefore it is difficult to affirm that a universal highway will lead you to happiness, when in fact, the way to happiness goes through many crossroads, divergent paths, and sinous routes. And even dead ends do not mean you have failed to achieve happiness, but rather give you the opportunity to turn around and try again, discovering an alternative passage.

Genuine happiness may not be easy to obtain, however, it is definitely worth the journey. Every individual deserves to live a happy life and they should all try their best to reach that goal. That is why it is important to keep a distance from things that make us unhappy, and try to do the things we love. Because it is undeniable that happiness and love are very closely bound.

–Sara Benzari
Essay on "What is Happiness to You?"