D-day (Monday)

It was a sign of how her school year would be; that the whole class didn't show up for the first day of class. Addie sat in the empty classroom, hoping and dreading that some of the students in the car park were her class mates. It was already 7:50 a.m. and no one else had stumbled into the fifth form. With every tick on the clock, the sinking feeling that something was wrong deepened. The bell rang.

"Hey! Are you lost or something?" A tall boy with rogue brown hair stood in the doorway.

She gasped, stumbling for words, then barely audible, her head bowed, she replied, "It's my first day of school and I think I'm a little early."

He chuckled. "You're not early. Your fellow upperclassmen are late."

She colored deeply. "What does that mean?"

"You'll see," he replied mysteriously. "Well at least you'll know someone when they get in tomorrow." He cocked his head to the side with a small, sympathetic smile. She looked up at him and it was like watching a flower bloom. He was stunning.

The first bell rang. "I gotta get going. You might wanna head to the dean's office to see how to handle this. Nice to meet you." And he was gone.

The room was depressingly empty again and for a moment she thought she imagined the whole scene.