DUODEQUINQUAGINTA

[ two nurses quietly whisper to each other when they come across a new patient in a recently vacated room. one nurse steals quick glances through the glass of the door at the male patient, who stares at the white wall blankly. ]

NURSE #1 : who's the new boy? pretty handsome, if i say so myself. [ giggles ]

NURSE #2 : [ wrinkles her nose ] gross. don't get any ideas. [ sighs, flips through papers in file ] his name is kim seokjin—just arrived this morning. he got himself an insanity plea at court last week. lucky boy.

NURSE #1 : oh, jeez. what'd he do?

NURSE #2 : [ lowers voice down to a whisper ] cop killer. he's a dangerous one. told you, pretty boys always have something up their sleeve. [ sighs ] it's a shame. well, i'd take incarceration over jail for life--or the death penalty. 

NURSE #1 : i suppose. [ clicks tongue ] is he a schizophrenic?

NURSE #2 : [ nods ] seems like. [ checks watch ] you can go in and say hi. show him around the facility, maybe.

NURSE #1 : [ says excitedly ] really? [ pauses ] wait. i have permission to do this, right? [ rests hand on the doorknob ]

NURSE #2 : yeah. i'm just teasing—the head actually wants you to show him around. [ winks ] it's your lucky day, i guess. have fun with pretty boy.

NURSE #1 : [ smiles ] cool. catch you for lunch, then.

NURSE #2 : right. see you.

NURSE #1 : [ knocks on the door before opening ] hi! good morning.

SEOKJIN : [ turns around, smiles faintly; he eyes NURSE #1 warily, his eyes soulless and desensitized ] morning.

NURSE #1 : i see that you've changed into proper attire already. [ looks at SEOKJIN'S clean, white hospital wear ] when did you get here?

SEOKJIN : a few hours ago. i think i've been staring at the wall since. [ chuckles dryly ] what are you here for? is it time for something?

NURSE #1 : [ shakes head ] not really. i'm just here to show you around. c'mon.

SEOKJIN : [ gets up slowly, sighing a little as he stretched out his legs before proceeding to follow NURSE #1 out of his room ] how long have you worked here? you seem pretty young.

NURSE #1 : [ walks towards the commons ] i've only been here for about three years. a bit less than that, actually. the other nurses still consider me a newbie, but i'd like to think i'm pretty established here. [ smiles ] so if you have any questions, feel free to ask me. 

SEOKJIN : [ quietly ] then you'd know.

NURSE #1 : ...i'd know what?

SEOKJIN : [ inhales sharply ] you'd know who's really crazy and who's not.

NURSE #1 : [ her gaze falls to the ground ] i... i guess. why? did you... did you fake insanity?

SEOKJIN : i didn't fake anything. they just—they all just assumed i was ill. they thought my psychosis was too strong. they thought i was seeing things, but i promise—i promise it wasn't just me seeing things. i didn't commit the crimes they pinned onto me—it was all my roommate. i'm innocent.

NURSE #1 : [ murmurs ] that's what they all say.

SEOKJIN : what?

NURSE #1 : nothing! anyways, you told them about this... roommate?

SEOKJIN : [ scoffs ] you don't believe me either.

NURSE #1 : then make me. who's this roommate you speak of?

SEOKJIN : his name is jeon jeongguk. he's real. i swear to god he is. but somehow—somehow—he wasn't linked to me whatsoever. and i am willing to bet my right wrist that it was his rich doctor father's doing. i swear. they didn't even mention his name during the trial. i... [ sighs in frustration ] he ruined my life.

NURSE #1 : i'm... so sorry to hear that. [ attempts to cover the disbelief in her voice ]

SEOKJIN : then you agree.

NURSE #1 : huh? [ stops walking ]

SEOKJIN : [ stops with NURSE #1 ] you agree that i don't belong here.

NURSE #1 : [ stutters ] w-well, i...

SEOKJIN : [ shakes head slowly ] you're all the same. [ backs away, then runs towards the front desk, pushing past the other people ]

NURSE #1 : w-wait! oh, my god—

SEOKJIN : [ grabs a glass vase from the front desk, smashing it to the floor—water spills everywhere along with the flowers ] i said, [ grabs piece of wet, broken glass from the ground ] i'm not, [ squeezes the glass in his palms, blood leaking out of his fist ] crazy! [ swipes the sharpened end across his wrist; blood spurts out from the cut in substantial amounts. he falls back and lands on the ground with a thud, blood pooling around him—he feels his senses dulling, his vision blackening until he was left with nothing but darkness. he was alone, yet again. ]

···

[ a / n ]
what a rollercoaster omg (the book isn't finished yet just so y'all know lol) but i finally saw 'jigsaw' and wow it was very disturbing but also the fucking plot twist (!!!)