VIII. Donald Diggle

"I don't care Amy, he's not going back there that lady is trying to con you don't you get it?"

"Augustus, you don't understand"

"I perfectly understand your point, but you need to stop being so foolish for god sake. Ask Callum himself, her session was bullshit she didn't help him at all."

"I know but she's saying she has a reason for storming out like that, she got scared said she'd never heard of a case such as Cal's she wants to help him, I want to help him."

Mum broke into tears. Dad sat to comfort her and they continued arguing.

I sat still. I felt like I'd gone mad. A shrink didn't know what was wrong with me. Then again there was a possibility she was a liar. I really wanted to know why dad didn't believe in her at all. For all I know he'd never been to her or any psychiatrist himself before, so what could she have done?

I laughed at the possibility that maybe Dad and Harriet had history, that's why he disliked her so much now.

"Guys, I'm going to bed now" I said to them and left to escape the tension inside this room.

I began to strip and change into my pajamas when I heard my mom begin to talk in a higher tone, I pressed my ears against the door so I could listen clearly.

"You really think Donald was her fault?"

"I can't blame her completely, but yeah, I don't trust a lady who couldn't help her own son to be able to help mine, that's it I don't want to hear about it anymore. I'm going to bed."

I heard Dad's footsteps move quickly towards his room and mum following shortly afterwards.

I didn't know Ms. Diggle had a child, how come I never knew of him?

.....

"Hey Clyde"

"What do you need Cal? Can't you see I'm studying right now?"

"Aren't you always?"

"So...?"

"I need to talk to you mate"

"Maybe later?"

"No, you're going to talk to me right now."

"What makes you think so?"

"It's gossip related, you like that yeah?"

Clyde sighed and bit his lip.

"I survive on it."

He shut the book he was reading and moved towards me.

"So what's up?"

"You ever heard of Donald Diggle?"

"You mean Donald Duck?"

"No, Donald Diggle, that psychiatrist's son"

"Oh! Yeah I have, he was around five years elder to us, my brother was friends with him."

"Was?"

"Yeah, killed himself when he was around 12 or 13. It's quite sad really"

"Why?"

"He died dude, don't really expect that to not be sad do you?"

"No, why'd he kill himself you dimwit?"

"Oh, No one really knows Adam always told me he was always a little sad, looked tired, sleep deprived. His parents weren't at good terms either people say. His dad left his mom around the time he killed himself, his father didn't even show for the funeral."

"Mhm, no wonder."

"No wonder what?"

"Nothing, bye. Thanks."

I gathered my books and got up from the table and raced out of the library. I think Clyde tried to call out to stop me but I went into the washroom.

No wonder Dad didn't trust her at all. She was a therapist who couldn't solve issues with her husband and let her own child commit suicide. Rubbish.