Chapter Nine

(Caroline's P.O.V.)

We hit land after ten minutes. The cruise ship was headed for Florida, so we figured that was where we were. Allie confirmed this; she used to go to Florida a lot.

"Okay, we're in the Keys. We need to lget to Wisconsin -"

"Wisconsin?" Harry asked. The girls all nodded. "Isn't that where they have cheese?"

"Yeah. Anyways, we need a car. Not a plane, you'll be recognized in an airport," I said, pointedly ignoring Zayn's eyes. He was mad because I wouldn't stay his protector. I was mad because he couldn't understand. I was also mad at myself. Why had I chosen to do this in the first place?

"Okay, we've got money we can buy a car," Niall said, rummaging through his pockets.

"Don't be stupid," Spencer said. "Use a credit card and they'll know where we've been. You don't think the agency supplied us with money?"

For the first time, Erika hadn't taken charge. Erika and Allie had really gotten into it earlier. It was strange because Allie didn't normally fight with any of us, especially not Erika. Nobody liked fighting with Erika. They would predictably get a new scar.

We walked on the side of the road for a while aimlessly until Deirdre got out her phone and started searching for a car dealership on the map. I wasn't paying Liam as much attention as I probably should have been, but I was distracted.

I didn't want Zayn to be mad at me. It felt weird. Like I cared what he thought about me. I wasn't supposed to feel that way. Zayn was supposed to mean nothing to me. The most importance he should've held in my mind was that this was my most important mission yet and I could not fail.

"Hey," Zayn whispered from behind me. His hot breath tickled my neck and sent shivers down my spine. His fingers brushed against my forearm. "Can we talk?"

I turned around. "Fine. Let's talk," I said quietly. He raised his eyebrows. "You mean in private? Let's fall behind the group," I said. We stopped walking and let the others get ahead. Then I started to walk again with Zayn hot on my heels.

"Why are you avoiding me?" he asked. I tried to figure out an answer. "I mean, I thought we were friends."

"Look...I just can't be around you. It's too dangerous," I hissed.

"Dangerous? I thought your job was to protect me."

I wheeled around to face him. "That is what I am trying to do, Zayn. I know you don't understand it, but I know what I'm doing. The less we feel for each other, the better."

He was silent, but then his face broke into a crooked smile. "So you admit you feel something for me?"

I smirked at him. "That's what I'm trying to avoid. Don't take it personally," I said.

"Hurry up!" Liam yelled at the two of us. Zayn was still wearing that stupid grin and we were nose and nose. I stepped away and started waking again.

"Let's go."

(Spencer's P.O.V.)

I paid for the car while the other nine waited outside. Louis and Harry were picking up pebbles and throwing them aimlessly. Allie looked like she wanted to join in but refrained herself. She cast another glare in Erika's direction.

I felt bad for Allie. She was often asked to do a lot for such a young one. But she always did it. I had seen the youth get driven right out of her, the sparkle had left her blue eyes a while ago. The saddest part was that when she was around Louis, that sparkle seemed to come back.