Chapter Twelve

(Zayn’s P.O.V.) 

Donny was pacing the room, licking his lips repeatedly. It was a strange thing to do, almost like when Allie would bite her nails. Except it was a lot creepier because Donny was holding us captive.

No big deal.

I looked at Caroline to my left and she seemed extremely calm and collected. I was about to grab her hand but she suddenly picked it up and put it in her lap. Donny stopped pacing and we all looked at him.

“Hey Don. What’s up?” Allie asked. Oh, here we go. Donny looked at her with amusement and he walked over extremely close to her face.

“Hey Allie. It’s been a while, hasn’t it?” he asked in a throaty voice.

“Yes, far too long. We’ve really missed you. Just a general wondering, why exactly were we under the impression that you were dead for the past four years?” Allie asked coldly. Donny laughed and rubbed his face.

“Oh, I’ve missed you, Allie. You’re such a cheeky girl,” he said. Allie waited patiently for his answer and I wondered what she was doing. “All right, let’s talk. Secret for secret?”

Allie raised her eyebrows, mildly intrigued. Then she smiled. “Fine. Secret for secret.”

Donny grinned. “I’ll go first, shall I? I’ve been pretending to be dead because I was on my father’s side the entire time, not that he knew. It’s all a part of the plan.”

“What do you want, Donny?” Erika asked suddenly. She seemed close to a breaking point and was shaking hard. Donny’s eyes fell on her and he seemed to feel something like pity. “Do you want money? You have that. Do you want power? You have that! You’re a fucking prince, Donny! Why would you – ”

“Ah, the motive,” Donny said breezily. He licked his lips again, his tanned face sweating slightly. “See, I’m the prince of a small, insignificant island. What’s the good in that? No. I don’t want to partially rule a puny excuse for a country. That’s not enough.”

Erika was shooting him a disgusted look and I agreed with her facial expression. This guy was insane. But Donny wasn’t done.

“And so I declared war with my father. With daddy out of the way, nothing could stop me. Mainly, he wanted to reach Europe, get control there. But he wasn’t willing to share. So I, being the clever boy I am, decided that I would play the good guy. I’d be the one people would rush to aid. That way, I had more people on my side.”

He licked his lips again, a sadistic smile breaking across his face. “And I killed my father and staged my own death. I have been biding my time, getting recruits, and killing those who threatened to out me. And then the perfect chance came along one year ago when the buzz sweeping the world called One Direction Infection began.”

I felt my stomach roll over. This was where I came into play. My palms were growing sweatier by the second. Then, out of the blue, Caroline grabbed my hand. I looked at her and she wasn’t even making eye contact with me, but her fingers were woven tightly through mine.

“And you’re the perfect prize. Nobody wants to let you die. That would cause so much turmoil, riots against he government, crying teenage girls who felt better listening to your songs….blah blah blah…” Donny trailed off.

“And I was just another piece in your game?” Erika asked, her voice breaking. There was a tear rolling down her cheek, but she looked angry. Donny walked over to her, crouching down and taking her face in his hands.

Harry slapped his hands away. Donny licked his lips and shook his head. “Got a new boyfriend? No, Erika, you were not a part of the game. You just happened to be a minor road bump along the way…”