Chapter 28: The Flaw in the Plan

Chapter 28: The Flaw in The Plan

I could see out in the forest. There was something there. Figures appeared out of the shadows of the trees, coming closer and closer to the opening.

"Harry Potter is dead. He was killed as he ran away, trying to save himself while you lay down your lives for him. We bring you his body as proof that your hero is gone."

It was none other than Voldemort that spoke. Everyone lay dead in their tracks, watching, as they appeared to come closer.

"The battle is won. You have lost half of your fighters. My Death Eaters outnumbered you, you the Boy Who Lived is finished. There must be no more war. Anyone who continues to resist, man, woman, or child, will be slaughtered, as will every member of their family. Come out of the castle now, kneel before me, and you shall be spared. Your parents and children, your brothers and sisters will live and be forgiven, and you will join me in the new world and we shall build together."

There was silence in the grounds from the castle. They came around to the castle. There was Voldemort right in dead center with Hagrid right behind him, holding the lifeless Harry Potter in his arms. Death Eaters swarmed around them. They spread out in a line facing the open front doors.

"NO!" I heard Professor McGonagall screaming in despair.

"HARRY!" I screamed as well as so did my friends. Tears threatened to pour from my face. Draco came in nearby, but was still hid much like I was. Everyone started screaming and yelling.

"SILENCE!" cried Voldemort, and there was a bang and a flash of bright light that silence was forced upon us all. "It is over! Set him down, Hagrid, at my feet, where he belongs!"

Harry was put on the grass.

"You see?" said Voldemort as he strides toward him. "Harry Potter is dead! Do you understand now, deluded ones? He was nothing, ever, but a boy who relied on others to sacrifice themselves for him!

"He beat you!" yelled Ron, and the Charm broke, and we all started screaming and shouting again until a second, a more powerful bang extinguished our voices once more.

"He was killed while trying to sneak out of the castle grounds," said Voldemort, "killed while trying to save himself —"

Neville scuffled over and shouted with his wand aiming at Voldemort, but with a bang, and a grunt of pain, he hit the ground. Voldemort threw his wand aside.

"And who is this?" he said in his soft snake's his. "Who has volunteered to demonstrate what happens to those who continue to fight when the battle is lost?"

Bellatrix gave a delighted laugh.

"It is Neville Longbottom, my lord! The boy who has been giving the Carrows so much trouble! The son of the Aurors, remember?"

"Ah, yes, I remember," said Voldemort, looking down at Neville, who was struggling back to his feet, unarmed and unprotected. "But you are a pureblood, aren't you, my brave boy?" Voldemort asked Neville, who stood facing him, his empty hands curled into fists.

"So what if I am?" said Neville loudly.

"You show spirit and bravery, and you come of noble stick. You will make a very valuable Death Eater. We need your kind, Neville Longbottom."

"I'll join you when hell freezes over," said Neville. "Dumbledore's Army!" he shouted, and there was cheering all around. Voldemort's silencing charms seemed unable to hold.

"Very well," said Voldemort, hearing the danger in his voice. "If that is your choice, Longbottom, we revert to the original plan. On your head," he said quietly, "be it."