Chapter 6: A Place to Hide

I drew my wand instantly. Silence spread outward in cold ripples from the place where the Patronus had landed. Then somebody screamed. Guests were sprinting in all directions; many were Disapparating. The protective enchantments around the Burrow had broken.

I pushed my way inside, ignoring Fred who stayed and fought the masked, cloaked figures known as the death eaters. I heard my name being called. I knew it was Hermione calling my name. I followed the voice, getting closer and closer until I spotted her. I grabbed hold of her hand as a streak of light whizzed over our heads. Sight and sound were extinguished as darkness pressed in on them. All I could feel was Hermione's hand as we went through space and time, away from the Burrow, and away from the Death Eaters.

"Where are we?" asked Ron. We were still surrounded by people in an ongoing crowd.

"Tottenham Court Road," panted Hermione. "Walk, just walk, we need to find somewhere for you to change."

We half walked, half ran up the wide dark street. The stars were out in the dark sky, shining brightly. I noticed Harry and Ron still wearing dress robes.

"Hermione, we haven't got anything to change into," Ron told her. A woman burst into raucous giggles at the sight of him.

"Why didn't I make sure I had the Invisibility Cloak with me?" said Harry, inwardly cursing on his own stupidity. "All last year I kept it on me and —"

"It's okay, I've got the cloak, I've got clothes for both of you," said Hermione. "Just try and naturally until — this will do."

She led us down a side street, then into the shelter of a shadowy alleyway.

"When you say you've the cloak, and clothes. . ." said Harry, frowning at Hermione, who was carrying nothing except her beaded handbag, in which she was now rummaging.

"Yes, they're here," said Hermione, and to the boys astonishment, pulled out a pair of jeans, a sweatshirt, some maroon socks, and the silvery invisibility cloak.

"How the ruddy hell —?"

"Undetectable Extension Charm," said Hermione. "Tricky, but I think I've done it okay; anyway, I managed to fit everything we need in here." She gave the fragile bag a little shake and it echoed like a cargo hold as a number of heavy items rolled around inside it. "Oh, damn, that'll be the books," she said, peering into it, "and I had them all stacked by subject. Oh well, Harry, you'd better take the Invisibility Cloak. Ron, hurry up and change."

"When did you do all of this?" Harry asked as Ron stripped off his clothes.

"I told you at the Burrow, I've had the essentials packed for days, you know, in case we needed to make a quick getaway. I packed your rucksack this morning, Harry, after you changed, and put it in here. . . I just had a feeling. . ."

"You're amazing, you are," said Ron, handing her his bundled up robes.

"Thank you," said Hermione, managing a small smile as she put his robes in the bag. "Please, Harry, get that cloak on!"

Harry threw the invisibility cloak on himself and vanished.

"The others — everyone at the wedding —"

"We can't worry about that now," I said. "They're after you, anyways. We'd put everyone in danger by returning."

"She's right," said Ron, who seemed to know that Harry was about to argue. "Most of the Order was there, they'll look after everyone."

"I think we best get moving," I said. Everyone agreed as we began walking back on the main road again.

"Just as a matter of interest, why Tottenham Court Road?" Ron asked Hermione.