Chapter 9: The Muggle-Born Registration Commission

"Ah, Mafalda! Natalia!" said Umbridge, looking at us. "Travers sent you two, didn't he?"

"Y-yes," squeaked Hermione.

"Good, you'll both do perfectly well." Umbridge spoke to the wizard in black and gold. "That's the problem solved, Minister, if Mafalda and Natalia can be spared for record-keeping we shall be able to start straightaway." She consulted her clipboard. "Ten people today and one of them the wife on a Ministry employee! Tut, tut. . . even here, in the heart of the ministry!" She stepped into the lift beside Hermione, as did the two wizards who were listening to the conversation with the minister. "We'll go straight down, you'll find everything you two need in the courtroom. Good morning, Albert, aren't you getting out?"

"Yes, of course," said Harry. Harry stepped off the lift. The golden grilles clanged shut behind him. He glanced over his shoulder, looking at us anxiously. Hermione glanced at me as I stared at her, not knowing we'd get to this point on the lift. Our plan was pushed aside, and now we had to go to this trial thing for a muggle-born.

"How are you these days, Natalia?" said Umbridge randomly.

"I'm fine, thank you," I said sweetly, which was the opposite of how I felt towards the woman. 

"How's your sister then? Still having those terrible coughs again? Haven't seen her in awhile."

"Oh yes, very much," I said. I didn't know how to continue this conversation. I never even had a sister.

"Surely one day you'll be able to do some real good to the world besides being pretty," said Umbridge, laughing at her own wit. Maybe she could do the same for her ugliness. . .

The golden grilles opened as the three of us stepped off the lift. Umbridge opened the door that led to the flight of stairs down to the court chambers. As we walked down the stairs, I felt that same feeling that made me feel hopelessness and despair, and that all the happiness from the world disappeared.

I could tell Hermione was feeling it too by the cold look she was giving off. Umbridge looked indifferent among it. I put my hand on the railing, and instantly, ice spread onto it. I removed my hand quickly, the ice melting away.

We went inside the court room where Yaxley greeted Umbridge with a scowl as if he'd something stuck on the bottom of his shoe and couldn't get rid of. When his eyes met mine, that same smirk resurfaced.

"Ah, Natalia, come to watch these muggle-borns be ripped away from their pride?" Yaxley said.

"Of course, it's quite entertaining," I said. Hermione looked over at me, her eyes widening as she shook her head ever so slightly.

Umbridge appointed Hermione to sit on one side of her while Yaxley sat on the other side. I was about to sit beside Hermione but Yaxley beckoned me a sit on the other side of him. I grimaced inwardly, taking my seat.

"Expecto Patronum," said Umbridge comfortably, as a cat appeared before us that patrolled the platform, letting me feel a sense of warmth and comfort from the dementors.

"It's nice to see you down in the court rather than stuck up in my office," said Yaxley in a sickly sweet tone, "however, I could be sure to be entertaining in more events than those late nights at the office."

What did this woman do with this man? To think he'd be superior and all high-and-mighty and have his way with anything, was this woman a prize of his?

I felt his hand roaming up my thigh slowly. I squealed a little. I pushed myself away from him in another direction. He scoffed, pushing himself closer to my ear and whispered, "No matter where you are and what I do you still act so embarrassed to my touch."