Escape

I was running as fast as my legs could carry me

I was running as fast as my legs could carry me. We jumped over creeks and ran through thorns and thickets, scrapping our arms and legs.

Yet we kept running, running for life. I couldn’t let the worst fate befall us.

We had to get to civilization. But as of now, I didn’t know where I was leading Christian.

The forest was eerily silent except for an occasional hooting of an owl. Well vampires hunt in silence.

Crashing through undergrowth, flying through the pitch dark forest, I felt like I was too slow.

Our pursuers were catching up fast. They weren’t someone or something which I could outrun. With their increased speed and agility, their heightened senses, we were a child’s play for them.

“Christian,” I screamed, “Try to run fast.”

“I can’t,” he gasped, “I’m not a guardian.”

The Moroi had only magic, no speed. Somebody would wonder how they are a class of vampires with so fragile physical strength?

“We passed the same area thrice,” he shouted, “We’ve not been able to clear the death circle of the forest.”

I didn’t reply. My heart flinched because I didn’t want to acknowledge that we were lost.
Suddenly something jumped down in front of me from a tree.

A pair of cruel, ruby eyes gleamed from a pale face. The predator looked at Christian.

I immediately threw myself between the Strigoi and him.

With one swift move, my silver stake bit into the flesh of the vicious creature.

It slumped to the ground. I saw more advancing.

“Quick, climb the tree,” I instructed Christian.

He was sloppy. He slipped and missed. I climbed up first and pulled him to safety.

The Strigoi gave the tree a heave. We clung to the branches.

I could see the fear in Christian’s eyes.

I broke off dry branches, tossing them to him, who set them alight and threw them down at the bloodthirsty creatures.

Unfortunately his aim was inaccurate and to my utter horror, I realized the base of the dry tree had caught fire.

Immediately I caught his hand and caring for nothing else, jumped down from the tree.

The soft leaves on the floor somehow broke our fall.

Having sprained his leg, Christian swore under his breath.

I tried to heave him up but I couldn’t.

The Strigoi surrounded us again. One of them snatched Christian. I deftly staked it.

Something latched onto my throat.

Christian’s fire lit it up. Soon the creature reduced to a shriveled brown mass.

A strong blow sent me flying. My head hit a tree. I smelled fresh blood.

I was dizzy. I could feel my panic as the Strigoi closed in.

Christian had used too much magic. He slumped to the ground, drained of all energy.

Suddenly something hit them like a storm. The surprised Strigoi were scattered.

A team of guardians were fighting them off.

“Roza,” I heard a panicked voice, “You’re hurt!”

“Dimitri,” I whispered, before he lifted me up in his arms.

500 words completed

A/N This was supposed to be another story but since the plot matches, I continue the same story... Please refer to glossary for something you don't understand....

I had introduced you to the Romanian myths in the previous entry. So Rose is protecting Christian.

Another person appears at the end... Dimitri is a guardian like Rose. He's her mentor cum her love interest.

This is written for the Yellow Belt by action