THE LEAD

Dimitri's POV

Dimitri's POV

That one scream from Rose shattered my heart into a million pieces.

I strained with all my might against the ropes tying me and could feel the nylon cords bite into my flesh, drawing blood.

But the pain seemed minimal in comparison to the cruel sight unfolding before my eyes.

Rose's face had acquired a blissful expression as all her senses were numbed by the vampire endorphins as the poison seeped into her, making her passive, inching her towards death and awakening with every passing second.

"Christian, do something, use your fire," I hissed, still trying to untie myself.

"I won't. I can't lose Lissa. A Strigoi will be destroyed in fire," he said, his eyes determined.

"Fool," I said through clenched teeth, "Burn the ropes. The other Strigoi."

And immediately I felt the heat burn through my already torn skin as the fire melted the nylon. I bit my lips to prevent myself from screaming.

At the same time, the five Strigoi in the clearing lit up all at a time, the smoke billowing out with the smell of burning flesh.

Breaking free, I jumped on Lissa with a stake.

She left Rose, spun around and lunged for my throat. I deftly avoided her fangs, balancing myself on my foot and knelt down. This caused her to get dis-balanced for a while, giving me a clear shot at her heart.

"No," a scream rang out and in the flick of a second, a fire lit up between me and her. Before I could fathom the situation, Christian was between my stake and her heart, guarding her with his body.

"Christian don't," I screamed, but it was too late.

Lissa had grabbed him by the throat and was backing off. She looked around nervously for her entourage, which had been burned to ashes by this time.

"I should have turned you first. A fire user is a danger," she whispered menacingly to Christian.

"Christian, she isn't what she was. She doesn't love you anymore, she's all for power. Use your fire," I commanded.

But he was too shocked by Lissa's betrayal to answer. He had never expected her to use him as a pawn, when he had fearlessly jumped in to prevent her getting staked.

"Dimitri," she addressed me, pointing towards the ground, where Rose lay still, pale as death "I am giving you one last choice. Rose is dying due to blood-loss. You have two choices, let her perish or let me awaken her. It's up to you now."

I flinched. That was no choice at all. I was in a dilemma.

Would I prefer Rose dead, than awakened? Could I be selfish enough to force her into a soulless, cursed existence, just to keep up the pretense that she is still alive?