Chapter 6 - Risk Anything

Night was starting to get tired of playing one-way dodgeball.

Or . . . dodge-arrow.

Preciser had decided to be a cowardly cheating meanie-pants again and back away into the sunlight. Then he'd turned his weapon into a bow and quiver and started shooting a zillion subjugation arrows at him where he was trapped in the closest yet seemingly smallest shadow. True, he could've just shadow-transferred himself somewhere else, but he didn't want to leave the villain alone with all the Milanese and tourists hiding in the surrounding shops.

He finally summoned his weapon and began using it as a deflection-slash-baseball bat while pacing back and forth in his shadow. He only had it out for a few seconds before the long line in the center of his double-edged blade started glowing; Sunray was calling him.

Knowing that indirect light wouldn't hurt him, he passed his hand over the blade, then quickly slid to the side as Preciser shot at him yet again. When he looked down, Sunray was staring at him wide-eyed.

"Is everything okay?" she asked.

"Yes and no," he replied hastily while avoiding another huge arrow. "Preciser's got me cornered and he's trying to shoot me with those wacko subjugation arrows."

She shuddered and groaned, obviously remembering her recent bad experience with the giant's new weapon. "I hate those things."

"Me too." He dove to the side and crashed into the barrier, narrowly escaping a volley poorly aimed because of frustration. "Any luck with the creatures?"

"Actually, yes." Now she sounded pleasantly surprised at herself. "The snake and the phoenix thing are both dead."

"Whoa, what?" He paused and gaped at her. "How?!"

She grinned sheepishly. "I have no clue."

While he was frozen staring at her, Preciser fired a perfectly aimed shot that would've hit him if he hadn't been talking with Sunray. Instead, it slammed into the back of the blade, making both Night and Sunray jump. "What was that?" she asked nervously.

"Preciser just shot my weapon," Night answered. "No big deal, I don't think, unless in his delusional plans he's figured out how to manipulate inanimate objects."

She laughed. "Nah, I think we're safe. For now, until either I find the next creature or I get there, just do your thing: make some kind of distraction and hit him then. Or, get . . . see if you can get one of his arrows and throw it back at him. That might actually put him down for good."

"Sunshine?"

"Yeah?"

"You know he's eavesdropping on us, right?" As he spoke, he had to stop and jump back to dodge another shot.

"Oh, crap." She frowned and was silent for a few seconds, then asked, "Where are you, then? I might as well come and help."

"Uh . . ." He glanced around briefly before responding. "Near Bosco Verticale. Closer to the short one." The vertical forests were towering close by.

"'Kay. See you soon." Her image vanished, and his blade went dark again.

He slowly lowered his weapon once more and smiled slyly at Preciser as a sudden, flawless plan slid into his mind. The giant king had had an arrow nocked and ready, but he lowered it slightly in confusion when he saw Night grinning like a lunatic. All of a sudden, he was glad the sun had come out again. Preciser tensed again and released the wire, but he ended up shooting the wall because the dark superhero vanished right before the arrow hit him. He found himself standing in the villain's long shadow a second later . . . behind him, so he was out of sight.