Chapter 5 - Trace of Sadness

Stilled memories floated in and out of Jakira's mind. Staring at a white ceiling, stumbling into the house, trying to explain something even she didn't understand to her shocked mother, and then simply darkness. They were dreams. Puzzling things that shouldn't have happened. Like Night's having to defeat the underground creature all on his own, then wasting the rest of his energy saving her from losing her power.

Again.

Ever since the day they'd met three years ago, no matter how big the smile on his face was, she would always see a faint depth of deep sadness in his eyes, which repeatedly made her wonder what exactly was always bothering him. The only clue she had was from what her mother had told her about Oscuro, his father. He'd been killed. That had to be part of it. But there also had to be something else, because when she'd looked at him on Saturday morning, the pain in his expression had seemed about to overwhelm him.

When her eyes opened, her heart felt heavy.

She stared at the blank ceiling above, and had never wished more that it wasn't white. It should've had some color. Something that gave a little cheer to her almost constant loneliness. Maybe it could be painted light pink . . . or dark blue with glow-in-the-dark stars. That way, her partner would come to mind every time she looked up.

Hearing a subtle creak as her door opened, she sat up and pulled her blankets closer, her teeth chattering. She'd been feeling like she had hypothermia since arriving home on Saturday.

Synthia was standing in the doorway. "Everything alright?" she inquired gently, stepping forward and sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Y-yeah," she managed in response. "Still cold." She stared at the blankets in silence for a second before continuing, "What's t-t-today?"

There was a short hesitation. "Monday," the reply came at last.

"Monday?!" She gasped and stiffened. "Why didn't you wake me earlier?! What time i-is it? I've gotta g-get to school, and then there's P-Preciser to worry about—"

"Hey," her mother interjected, raising both hands for silence. "Calm down. Don't worry about school; I called them and told them you're sick with a cold." She grinned. "That's not technically a lie."

"But what about Preciser?" she persisted. "I'm not letting Night get stuck in two fights in a row where he's all on his own. No. Way." The last words she spoke with a firm, not-taking-no-for-an-answer tone.

"I wasn't going to try to stop you from that," Synthia exhaled. "I just kept you from school so you could get some rest."

"School." Something suddenly clicked in Jakira's memory. "Alex. The project! Oh, no—!" Her mother interrupted her again.

"It'll be fine," she assured. "You can text him now if you want. I'll give you a few minutes." She rose and left the room.

Sliding down on her back again, Jakira picked up her phone from her nightstand, turned it on, and sent him simply, Alex?

Only five seconds later, his response flashed up, making her jump. Hi! heard u were sick. U feeling better now?

Yeah, ill be there tomorrow. Please dont tell me u did the project by yourself??? She poked the Send button and waited anxiously.

He sent back an emoji with a zippered mouth.

She gasped, then slapped her forehead and scolded in reply, ALEX!!!