Chapter Eight

Megan's POV:

One week later

I wake up to the sound of my phone ringing. "Hello?" I answer.

"Assia is awake. I shouldn't be asking, but would you like to go see her?"

I stay quiet.

"I'll be over in ten." She hangs up and I set my phone down.

I get up and get dressed in a pair of gray sweats, a tank-top, and Assia's hoodie. I blush my teeth as I brush my hair and put it in a messy bun. Then I put on my slides, grab my phone and keys, then go outside to wait for Julie.

Once we arrive at the hospital, I practically drag Julie to Assia's room. Impatient to see her beautiful face.

When we are almost to Assia's room, the doctor comes out.

"May I help you?" The doctor asks.

"Yes. We are here to visit Assia." Julie says.

"Oh, yes of course. Go right in." She smiles and starts to walk away. "I'll be back to check on her again soon." 

"I'll let you two have a minute." Julie sits in the chair right outside the door.

I slowly open the door and peek inside. That's when I see her. God she's so beautiful. She sees the door opening so she looks away from the TV. 

She takes a minute to study my still frame, and then says, "What? Aren't you happy to see me?" Then she laughs quietly, but winces in pain as soon as she does. "Ow."

I frown, wishing I could make her all better again. I walk up to her bed and sit down next to her and take her hand in mine. "You're so beautiful."

She blushes. "No I'm not. I have a big bruise on my face, a black eye, stitches on my arms, and a cast on my leg. I'm far from beautiful." 

"You could have a third eye and no legs, and I would still find you beautiful." I kiss her hand lightly, careful of the IV cord connected to her. "I'm so happy you're awake." Tears start falling from my face. 

She puts a hand on my face and starts wiping away my tears. "Shhhh. I'm fine. I'm here. Please stop crying." 

I force myself to stop, but a few still leak through. "Assia?"

"Yes?" 

"Did you mean what you said?"

"When?" She looks at me with curious eyes.

"When you said you loved me?" I can't look at her face. 

"Megan. Look at me. Now." 

She looks angry. 

"Why would I say that I love you and not mean it? Huh? Answer that." 

"Well, I don't know. Maybe you didn't want to hurt me at the time? Or you wanted to distract me?" 

"Wow. Is that how you really see me? A cold, heartless bitch? No. I would never say I love you to someone I didn't love. But Megan. Listen to this." She leans in and touches our foreheads together and looks deep into my eyes. "I love you." 

"I love you too." 

She leans her head in more and kisses me. A slow, sweet kiss. I put all of my love and feelings into this kiss. I knew that, in this moment, she was the one for me. That I would always be there for her, that I will always have her back. She will never have to be alone again. 

She is my life now.