Chapter Eighteen

I immediately spin, so he can't search any deeper into my weakening mask of passiveness. "I've got to get back to the city."

I hear him close the door. "Back? I thought you were staying the weekend."

I walk straight into the bathroom, collecting my creams and shampoos. "No, I can't."

"Is this because of earlier? Because of what happened in the limo?"

I come out of the bathroom, eying him aggressively. "And what happened in the limo?"

He doesn't answer me. He just stands there in his impressively tailored suit, judging me. I shake my head, not wanting to get into what the limo ride was.

I begin to pack again. "Giovanni, what the hell are you doing here? Your show is still on. People will be expecting you to be there at the end."

"Sasha overheard your conversation. Came to tell me something bad had happened that had really frightened you and that you left. I decided it was more important to come here."

"Than your show?" I chuckle. "No, it's definitely not more important, so just go back."

"Scarlett."

"No."

"You've been crying."

"None of this is your business at all!" I bark, glaring at him through fresh tears.

He breathes in, his face hard as stone like mine. "This is about your ex, isn't it?"

I spin around as I begin to cry despite myself, hating that I'm letting him see me like this. "Giovanni."

"That is the only reason you'd be this torn up. Tell me what's going on. I could help you!"

"I don't want your help!"

"Yes, YOU DO!" he shouts, stopping me from saying anything else. I stare at him silently. He shakes his head at me, furious. "It's all over your goddamn face right now, just like it has been all night! You're afraid, and you are dying for someone to tell you what to do. So, tell me what's going on, and I will give you my damn advice, and then I will leave and go back to my show."

I'm pissed, and I'm relieved, but most of all, at his words, I somehow find the ability to exhale, truly exhausted. I move back, sitting down on the bed slowly in defeat.

I wipe my cheeks with haste, struggling to gather myself. "Dixon just tried to kill himself at the firm... in a bathroom in the lobby. I heard he caused a scene before he disappeared. They found him relatively quick or... or he probably wouldn't be alive right now."

Giovanni exhales, releasing the tension between us. "Shit. Scarlett."

I shake my head, hiding my face from him as he walks to me, bending down.

"He was evicted. No doubt he found a way to get the money I sent and spent it. He had been calling me all day, at the office, on my cell. I refused to pick up."

He clasps the back of my calves, listening intently.

"He was that low... that he felt the need to do that there. He wanted me to know how far he'd go. And now I feel like I need to go, like I need to see him." A groan escapes my lips. "And then I think of how pathetic that is and how I should hate him, and I second-guess myself."

Tears still spill from my eyes. "I don't know what I'm supposed to do."

I press my fingers to my eyes, hoping that will stop them from leaking. I'm relieved when he finally breaks the silence.

"Can I ask you a question? It's frank and personal, but it's something that has been on my mind quite a bit."

Even though I'm nervous, I move my hands and nod once to him.