Chapter Thirty-Six

Thankfully, the radio is on as we travel down the crowded roads toward my apartment. If Jimmy does know what's happened, he hasn't said anything yet. Not even when I called to tell him I was twenty minutes from where he last dropped me off.

I know I have to warn him.

"Jim?"

"Yes?"

"Do you know what's happened?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

I'm I don't have to explain it.

"My apartment will probably be packed with reporters outside, just so you know."

"Alright."

I nod, looking down at my lap.

"The way they hounded you out of there was despicable."

I press my hands to my mouth gently, still able to feel Giovanni's lips against them. "It's the business."

"I'm sorry I wasn't there."

"There's no way you could have known, but thank you anyway."

"What is the next step? Will you be going to work tomorrow?"

"Yes, like any normal day," I whisper, glancing out the window as we approach my building.

Except tomorrow will be anything but normal.

I see the crowd of photographers crowding each side of the doors to my building, and I prepare myself for the chaos.

"I will take you in," Jimmy says as he parks the car, the vehicle being bombarded with flashes already. I don't even have time to answer before he's out of the car, walking around to get my door. When he opens it, I climb down, keeping my face hidden, now barefoot.

"Scarlett! Scarlett!"

"Tell us something!"

Jimmy walks ahead of me, making sure they stay back.

"Are you dating Giovanni Martinelli!"

"How many other clients are there?"

Jimmy grabs the door, holding it open.

"I'll be here bright and early!" he shouts over them. I'm eternally grateful for it.

I enter the building, glancing back when I hear the door shut, watching Jimmy hurry to the car, ignoring the reporters.

"I'm sorry for this. I tried to get them to leave, but they're allowed to stand at the perimeter."

I turn, looking at Rog behind the desk. "No, no. I'm sorry for the commotion."

Again. For the fiftieth time. First Dixon. Now the world.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

I can barely conjure up a smile as I attempt to walk by him towards the stairs.

"Scarlett?"

I turn. He holds up a small key.

"Go in the back way tomorrow... until this all dies down."

I take the key from him with relief.

"Will he be coming here at all?"

"No, I don't think so."

Giovanni should be getting on a plane out of here by now.

I climb the steps, a slower stride to my step as I reach the top, seeing my door.