Chapter Forty-Two

The piano player's hands glide across the black and white keys, crooning softly as if in his own private world. The dark modern ambiance of the room contrasts greatly with his poetic, sultry song. Leaned back in my seat, surrounded by New York's elite, I find myself listening to him, distracted from the man across from me.

"You seem distracted," Ed coincidently observes across from me.

"He has such a nice voice."

"You don't want to talk about it."

"It's a waste for him to sing here while everyone ignores him."

"If you don't want to talk about it, just tell me."

My eyes land on his with finality. "I don't want to talk about it."

His taut mouth curves. "Was it really that bad?"

"Worse." I lift my drink to my lips, letting the liquid courage scald my throat. "I just want to talk about you. How is work?"

"You want to talk about surgery?"

I smile wide. "I honestly wouldn't mind."

Dressed in a warm white dress shirt and khaki slacks, Ed fits right in with everyone around us. In contrast, I sit comfortable in jeans and a plain black blouse.

"Well, there was this incident in the lobby that was pretty hilarious."

I sit up, intrigued. "Good. Tell me about that."

He begins to relay to me a long tale of the hospitals difficulties in subduing this one man and how it took five orderlies to keep him down. He tells me the man was a wrestler in is younger years and went down a trip through memory lane, deciding to try out the "backbreaker" on a few of them.

"Did anyone get hurt?" I laugh.

"No. I mean, there will be a few bruises for sure, but no permanent damage."

I shake my head, grinning. "A day in the life of a surgeon."

He gestures to my nearly empty glass. "You want another round?"

"Sure."

He holds up his hand and our server hurries to us.

"Another round, please."

"Right away." She nearly trips over her own feet, gawking at Ed's far above average looks. He's definitely got the hot doctor thing going for him.

"At least tell me how the trial went," he persists when she's gone.

"I only stayed till the recess, but I heard they have enough to sentence him in the next court date. It's going to be a few years that he's put away, at least."

"It should be a lot longer."

"I concur."

"You saw the new office right while you were there? The new building? Are you excited?"

"I am. I'm just not thrilled to be moving across the country, away from my friends. My life has been in New York for so long."

"You've got me. I'm going to be flying there whenever I can."

I smile softly. "I know."

"This is a huge opportunity. Norman's going to be giving you his company. You'll have topped success by then." He reaches out, grasping my hand. "I know you're worried about being there but you are stronger than you know. You'll be fine."

My eyes roll with endearing affection. "You're pretty great, you know that?"

"I do."

I laugh at his bluntness. "Oh, you do, do you?"