Chapter Seven: Feelings

The next morning I was sitting at my desk, a cup of coffee untouched on the table in front of me. I was waiting for Paige to join me. Her breakfast was already prepared, kept under a magic lock to keep it from going cold. After little more then an hour I hear my Charge begin to move around. Fifteen minuets later she stumbles into the kitchen, lead by her nose. It appears she smelled the coffee.

After she has woken and eaten, the tiny girl looks over at me. I am hidden behind the morning paper, waiting for her to speak. She clears her throat and I put the paper down. I arch my brow and wait. Several long seconds of silence passes before she opens her mouth to speak. 

"Cole? Thank you for healing me, and preventing me from leaving. I would have regretted it, if you had let me. I can't tell you what I feel, hell I don't even know, but I can tell you that it is strong. I do not wanna lose you or the friendship we have built. Thank you again, my Protector."

My breath caught. That is the first time she has called me that. Protector. I wonder if she even knows the significance of what she just said. Judging by the look on her face I conclude that she does. A genuine smile found its way onto my chapped lips. I reach out an take her hand, giving a reassuring squeeze, as I lock my eyes with hers and open my mouth to speak.

"Paige. I..I," I'm stuttering. Taking a deep breath I begin again. "My Charge, I have been connected to you since the day you were born. I will never stop protecting you, never stop caring for you. You will never lose me." Grinning in the cocky way we demons are known for, I wrap my arms around her in a tight hug. She melts into the embrace, a contented sigh leaving her lips. 

I kiss the top of her head and smile. Having already planned our day I am content to hold the tiny girl against my chest for now. I could hear her giggle at the low purr that rumbles from my chest. Acting mock offended, I pull away from her slightly. 

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Hours later we were walking home after stopping at a little diner for supper. I was on red alert after what happened the other day, I was not going to risk losing my Charge again so soon. Not ever if I could help it. Ignoring the feelings, which I refuse to identify, stirring in my chest, we continue on our semi date. Of course neither of us would call it that. Not ever. Arriving at the house I open the door for her, locking it behind me. I can feel it. When she turned her back to me I could feel the pull. I know what that means... Swearing and cursing to myself I vow not to act on it. That pull could lose me my job if my father ever found out, but for Paige the price would be much worse. She would lose her life .