Chapter 18

Awhile had passed. Stone and Arrow had explored many new hunting places. After the meadow, they had gone to a waterfall, then to a thick forest, and all the way to grassy hilltops. They were now heading to rocky cliffs to catch some large birds.

            Arrow and Stone knew that Lily and Daisy had probably already given birth, so they were nervous, hoping everything had gone well.

            "We're almost there!" Rock called.

            Stone viewed the rocky cliffs ahead. Large birds swooped and clung to the branches of the trees.

            "How will we climb that?" Stone asked.

            "You caught that bird when you first came," Arrow said. "I bet you could catch a bird here too."

            "Maybe," Stone said.

            As they came nearer, Arrow stopped. "What is it?" Stone asked.

            "I smelled a weird scent. It was probably just the birds," Arrow said. They continued walking.

            They neared the cliffs, ready to start hunting.

            Rock stopped just like Arrow had done earlier. "There is a weird scent here," Rock said. "Be careful everyone."

            Arrow and Stone padded by, looking for birds to hunt. They looked around for awhile and gasped as an arrow almost hit Stone's head.

            "HUNTERS!" Arrow gasped.

            Foxes began running and broke out into a pandemonium as hunters shot at the foxes, killing them on the spot.

            "RUN!" Arrow gasped. They ran, dodging arrows here and there.

            "EVERYONE TO THE FOREST!" Rock yowled.

            Suddenly, Arrow and Stone were surrounded. The arrow was pointing straight at Stone's  heart. Arrow growled. "NO!" he growled. He leapt in front of Stone as they shot.

            "Arrow!" Stone gasped.

            The fox was dying. "Go. Run," he whispered.

            Stone ran past his dying friend and leapt over the hunter. He ran from them. They were right on his heels. Stone yowled as an arrow went into his leg.

            His pace slowed down. Stone was almost to the forest when he tripped and landed into a net.

            "Help!" Stone yowled.

            No fox came to help him. They ran by fast, leaving the injured Stone in the net. The hunters drew near, smiling at him.

            "NO! DON'T!" Stone yowled, knowing the twolegs had no idea what he was saying.

            They smiled at Stone and pointed the arrow straight at his chest. Stone gasped and yowled as the arrow went through his chest. Stone fell over on the net, covering the white net with his blood.

            "Lily," he whispered. "I love you."

            He glanced at the world one more time, only to see Rock's horrified face from up above. Then it went black.