Chapter 23

About a week had passed since Stone's return as a fox. He was not taking Lily's death well. None of the other foxes were. But Stone's kits reminded him of Lily gave up her life and soon he began to not feel as sad as he used to be.

            Daisy's kits had met Stone's kits. They all played together, but he really enjoyed seeing Hazelnut and Sunshine play together. No doubt the two would be mates. It made Stone smile. It had reminded him of long ago when Stone and Lily were in love, as were Daisy and Arrow, and they had all hung out with each other.

            "Daddy," Stone felt a tug on his ear. He opened his eyes to see Hazelnut.

            "Someone's up early," Stone groaned.

            "Can I go and play with Sunshine?" Hazelnut asked.

            "It's really early," Stone said.

            "Please?" Hazelnut begged.

            "If she's up. If she isn't, you must come right back here. No dilly-dalling in the forest," Stone said.

            "Alright," Hazelnut groaned, running out of the den.

            Their conversation had woke up the other fox kits. Bumblebee let out a huge yawn while Honey opened her eyes and gazed around. "Good morning," Stone said.

            "Morning, Daddy," Bumblebee said.

            "Can we go outside?" Honey asked.

            Stone groaned. He couldn't really tell them 'no' since Hazelnut had gone outside. "Alright," he said. "I guess you kits won't let me sleep."

            Stone padded out of the den. Daisy's kits were already up. Chase sat near, watching the seven kits play around.

            "Daisy is sleeping?" Stone asked.

            Chase nodded. "I can watch them, Stone. You can get some sleep."

            Stone shook his head. "They already woke me up. I'll just stay up now."

            He sat down next to Chase and they watched the kits play together. "Lily would be proud, you know," Chase said. "For being such a responsible father."

            "Thanks," Stone said. "I miss her a bunch."

            "Why wouldn't you?" Chase asked. "I miss her too. Despite all the kits, it feels so empty around here without her."

            Stone nodded. "Yes, I know. The kits are a blessing though. Honey reminds me of Lily."

            "Well she looks a lot like her too," Chase said. "Bumblebee looks the most like you."

            "I know," Stone replied.

            "It's a shame that you didn't get to know Heat. Well maybe it isn't too bad. He and Hazelnut were the troublemakers," Chase laughed. Her laughs came to sighs. "I guess troublemakers aren't so good. That's how Heat ended up dying. They went into the woods without permission and touched the poisonous moss."

            "So I guess Hazelnut is immune?" Stone asked.

            "It's a weird thing, really," Chase said. "Most foxes aren't immune to the poisonous features of that moss. Hazelnut is lucky."