My Chance

Nia didn't say much when the cab dropped us off; she was too hurt. Not even mad. Just hurt. Which honestly killed inside.

I ran inside as she slowly walked away. I scooped up all the letters I had written and the rope,  and shoved them in my desk. I might use them later, depending on how this goes.

My dad didn't see him to be home. Shocking. So, I left.

I had three choice. Number one, simply knock on the door and ask Rory's parents to let me in. Number two, get Isaac's help sneaking me in. Or number three, break in, find what I need, and sneak out.

Number one was out of the question, Rory's parents wouldn't let me in to save their lives. Or their sons, for that matter. Number two involved getting even more people involved, which didn't need to happen.

God, I hate this. I'll have to break in.

Rory was one of the only people I knew that lived in a house in the city, rather than an apartment. I wasn't sure if that would make this easier or harder.

I ran behind to the back of the house, where (thankfully) Rory's window was. I reached my hand as high as I possibly could, slipped my fingers into the crack where the two bricks met, and gripped as tight as I could. I then reached my right arm up to mirror my left. My toes were too big to fit in the crack, I'd have to rely on the weak grip my tennis shoes had to offer. The problem with that, was that my feet could only grip the same area for so long, so I'd have to be quick.

Judging by my lack of any athletic ability what so ever, and the high of the window, it'd be in my best interest to just go through the front. Better yet, go home.

But my stubborn ass took a deep breath, and started to climb.

I ended up slipping and supporting myself by only one hand while the rest of my body dangled in the air at least three times. But I picked myself back up, and I kept going with determination.

I got about half way up when I stoped to catch my breath. I looked down. It would've been so easy to drop right then. To just let go of the bricks that were making my fingers bleed and fall. But there was life up there. Rory was up there. I wasn't going to leave Rory alone up there.

I finally made it up to the window. I let the shock that I had actually made it take over for a second as I stood on the ledge with trembling hands, just laughing.

"What did you make me do, Rory?" I mumbled, unable to contain a smirk. That was quickly wiped off my face when I realized I still hadn't gotten in yet, and I had no clue what I was looking for.

I opened the window and climbed in. His door was already shut, so that was a plus. I've never been in Rory's room before. He never wanted me to come over. I guess maybe he was scared his parents might hurt me like they hurt him. I looked around, searching for something, anything that could bring him back.

"Rory," I whispered, "if you can hear me, I need your help. I'm here, I'm in your room but I can't find anything. Please tell me what I'm looking for, at least give me a hint!"

I picked up an opened bottle of pills I found laying horizontally on his bed. There were only four pills left. Could this be what I needed? I kept hold of it, just to be sure, and continued looking.

His guitar. I walked over to the corner where his guitar was leaning up against the wall.

"I won't let you down. I won't let you drown,"
I muttered. My eyes began to well up with tears as my stomach sank. I let him drown. I watched the water surround his head. Then I turned my back on him as he stuck his arm out and motioned for help. I didn't turn around when the water covered the tip of his fingers and washed him away from shore. He was gone by the time I finally turned around. But I was right there the whole time, only a block away, letting him drown.

I grabbed the guitar, "I won't let you down again."

I only had the chance to grab two other things (his song book and the sweatshirt he always wore) before I heard footsteps approaching.

I stared at the door in a panic. I eyed all the things in my hands, then quickly looked around for my options.

Under the bed, back out the window, or the closet. I didn't have time to go back out the window, and the bed seemed too small, so I leaped into the closet and shut the door.

I tried to calm myself so no one heard me hyperventilating, but it wasn't working.

"Theo." I jumped. Did someone see me?! My heart pumped a mile a minute. I held my breath and squeezed my knees.

"Theo!" The dame voice said, louder. Too afraid to walk out, I squeezed my eyes shut as tears poured down my cheeks.

"Don't cry, it's okay. He won't see you in here."

I slowly opened my eyes.

"Rory?" I mumbled. I looked up to see him sitting on the top shelf in the closet.

"Shhh! He'll here you!" He yelled.

"What about you?" I mouthed.

"He can't hear me. You have to get out of here Theo. They'll hurt you."

I grabbed a pen I found on the floor, turned to a blank page in his music book and wrote, "your parents can't hurt me. Don't worry. I have a safe house to go back to." I handed him the book. He read it unnaturally fast and gave it back, shaking his head.

"I'm not taking about my par-" he froze.

"Run, Theo! Run!"