The Cobra #1***

"Come on.  It'll be fun!"  Maya sat cross-legged on my bed, annoying the life out of me.

"I said, no!" 

"I said, yes!"

"No!"

"Yes!"

"Yes!"

"No!  Wait.  What?  Hey, you tricked me."  She pouted.

"I can't believe how you still fall for that."  I laughed. 

This girl cracked me up.   Without her, life would have been totally boring.

"Pleeeeease, pretty pleeease, with a cherry on top?"  She pleaded.  She made a puppy dog face, sticking her bottom lip out  and batting her eyelashes.  She knew I couldn't stand that.

Don't fall for the evil puppy dog face, Shay Daniels.  Don't let it get to you.  Don't fall for it.  Don't fall for it.  Don't... 

"Fine I'll go!  Just.. stop torturing me with the puppy dog face." 

Gosh, I am so weak.

"Yes!  Watch out New Jersey.  Maya Mitchell and Shay Daniels are gonna party," she yelled, her fist pumping the air.

I was already regretting it.  Curse the puppy dog face!

"We have to get ready for the party," she squealed.

"Oh, heck no!"   I jumped up from my bean bag just as she lunged at me and grabbed my arm.

"Come on, we have to look pretty!" Maya said.

"Over my dead body.  I'm not playing one of your dress up games!"  

"It's not a dress up game," she yelled back.  "It's called getting ready for the best night of your life."

I ran into the kitchen and saw my brother, Jonathan, making a sandwich for himself. I ducked behind him just as Maya entered.  I used Jonathan as my shield.

She barreled past Jonathan trying to get to me.

"Whoa, Maya," he said.  "I knew you liked me, but....."

“Shut up!"  Maya and I shouted at the same time. 

Jonathan grumbled under his breath.  " Whatever."

I used the distraction to run out of the kitchen but Maya caught up and fell on top of me.  "Gotcha!"

"Jonathan help me!"  I pleaded from under Maya.

"No can do, sis.  I'll leave you to fend for yourself this time."

"Jerk."

" At least I'm not the one trying to get away from my best friend," he answered smugly.

"I hate you."

"The feeling's mutual, sis. The feeling's mutual."

"Ugh!"

"Come on Shay.  I have to beautify you,"  Maya said.

Why do I have the feeling that this won't end well?  Oh right, because it won't.

**** **** **** **** ****

A few make-up accessories, perfume bottles and some burnt hair due to an accident with the curling iron, courtesy of Maya, and the torture was done.

"You look gorgeous, Shay!  I knew you would look great in that dress!"

I looked in the mirror critically, then sighed.  I've got to admit, Maya was right.  I did look gorgeous.  My hair was in perfect ringlets, my make-up had been done to perfection and the dress felt like it was made for me.  It was a crimson color, strapless, and went just above my knees.