Chapter 12

Placing a final, feathery kiss upon Alison's forehead, Emily slowly backs away and averts her attention down towards the blonde's trembling hands.
Emily instinctively envelops her hands over Alison's, quietly calming the wide array of emotions that were manifesting in the form of trembling excitement.

"I don't ever want to hear you talk about yourself like that again," Emily orders seriously, "If that's how you truly view yourself, then I promise you this. I promise to spend each day helping you realize all of the wonders of you. I also promise to make you feel desired and appreciated because that's exactly what you deserve".

Alison, still coming to terms with such intense vulnerability, swallows harshly and nods her head in silent agreement.

"I'm sorry if I've overwhelmed you too much," Emily continues to express, "I, I just couldn't hide it any longer. I tried to respect your wishes to remain friends. I thought I could live with that because I'd at least have you in my life... But in all honesty, I've felt something for you ever since I met you in that courtyard. At the time, I didn't know what it was because let's face it, I'm a mess when it comes to romance".

Reaching out to tuck Alison's golden locks behind her ear, Emily explains while lovingly marveling at the effortless beauty before her, "I can't tell you how many times I've fantasized about this moment... telling you that I want you... feeling the joy of knowing that you feel the same, and experiencing the high of kissing you for the first time".

"Ali," Emily begins to explain before pausing for a moment to reflect on her thoughts, "You make me want to stop my destructive, sexual behavior. Believe me, I tried to replace you because I thought I'd never be able to have you in the way that I so desperately desired. Over time, you've made me crave commitment and stability in my life. I want to kiss you just because you're mine. I want to take you out on proper dates and make all of your wildest dreams come true. I want everyone that sees us holding hands while walking down the street to know just how much I adore you".

"Em," Alison interrupts by placing her finger over Emily's lips, "I can see that you like me". Laughing lightly, Alison continues, "But I fear if I don't stop you now, you'll just keep releasing all these pent up thoughts and I'll never get the chance to tell you how I feel".

"Oh," Emily replies blushing nervously.

"Hey," Alison coaxes, lifting Emily's face to meet her gaze, "Don't be embarrassed. Listening to you talk like this is well... really cute. And it makes me feel really lucky".

Smiling in relief, Emily releases her tensed breathe and nods her head for Alison to begin.

Content with her efforts to reassure Emily, Alison takes a deep breath in preparation to continue to walk under the spotlight of vulnerability. "Emma, when I first met you, I quite honestly couldn't stand you. But over time, I saw that you were so much more than I had judged at first glance. You see, you put on this front, like you're this emotionally unavailable, self absorbed, obnoxious person. But it's all a facade. You're unbelievably kind, loyal, creative, insightful, and a true friend. I believe that because of time, I've naturally come to view you as more than a friend. It happens when you look at me, when you support me, and when you know exactly what I need".

Clutching her hand over her heart, Alison details, "It's like the air gets sucked out of my lungs, my heart begins to flutter, and my mind wonders if you feel it too. I think last night was a pivotal moment for me. When I was in real danger, every fiber of my being just knew that if you could get to me... everything would be okay. And Emma, you came through for me. You dropped everything for me and that's what makes you the person I need in my life. Yes, you're obviously beautiful on the outside. But what I'm drawn to the most is the type of woman you are on the inside".