Chapter 8

"Mom," Alison yells over the phone, "What do you mean Dad took all of the money? Are you guys officially seperated? Does he realize by not working and spending all of your retirement, that my government scholarship will be impacted? Since I don't have any credit established, I'll need your good credit to take out any further loans?".

"Honey, I don't know what else to say. He's gone. He took all of our money. I stayed home all of these to take care of you and your brother while he worked. Now I'm penniless. I don't know how I'm going to pay for everything" Jessica, Alison's mother, ponders aloud on the other end of the line.

"The man's fucking crazy! This is wrong! This is beyond wrong! I'm sorry mom, I've gotta go. We will figure this out" Alison promises before hanging up the phone, hurling it against the wall across the room, and collapsing to the floor in a fit of full blown sobs.

Emily, reflecting on that night in the club as she stared down at her nearly empty coffee cup, was admittedly grateful that Alison suddenly fell ill with a case of food poisoning and never fell prey to Rosco's devilish plan. In such a short amount of time, the spunky blonde had become a valued asset in her life. And it's because of this friendship that Emily didn't want to see her friend be taken advantage of. It's almost as if some innate need to protect her was ignited in a fierce fashion. Granted the pair had been texting at times but things between them seemed to be growing increasingly distant. More and more texts from Emily were going unanswered and the brunette hadn't seen the blonde in a few weeks. During these weeks, Emily had been spending less time at the club and more time on the streets with Toby and Caleb, learning the ropes of product distribution.

"I hope she's stayed away from that creep" Emily says aloud to herself as she reaches for her phone on the table, catapults herself onto the couch, and begins to type yet another message to Alison. "I feel like I haven't seen you or heard from you in weeks. Let's get together :)" Emily types, hoping this will be the text that Alison responds to.

Much to her surprise, Emily's phone hums as it rests on her chest, indicating an incoming message.

"Sorry I've been M.I.A. I've been busy. Can't get together" Emily reads aloud, instantly feeling a small pang of hurt in her chest.

"Fine, whatever" is all Emily types in response before throwing her phone on the coffee table, huffing in frustration.

A quick buzz spurs Emily to reach for her phone again, only to be left disappointed the moment she realizes that it's only Rosco and not Alison apologizing for her rudeness.

"Tonight, 11pm, my office" she reads to herself before rolling her eyes at the summoning from the man who she'd grown less and less fond of over the weeks. That being said, the instantaneous fear that jolted through her chest upon reading the cryptic and nondescript text left an overarching feeling of uncertainty and dread. What could he possibly want now?

Clicking down the hallway in her sky high stilettos, overly short mini skirt, lacey crop top, with her hair falling down her shoulders in effortless curls, Emily bursts through the door to Rosco's office, failing to care if her rudeness landed her in trouble.

"You summoned me" Emily announces in a tone dripping with annoyance.

"God damnit Emma if you didn't look so hot right now, I'd scold you for barging in like this" Rosco replies while collecting himself from her surprise entrance. "It's such a shame that you love pussy too because I'd try and fuck you into another dimension with you walking in here dressed like that" he adds shaking his head in disappointment.

"Charmed" Emily replies sarcastically, jutting out her hip and resting her hand on it, waiting for him to explain why he ordered her to come to his office.