Chapter 13

"Em, I'm home," Toby yells at the top of his lungs as he enters the door to the apartment and slams it shut behind him. "I brought dinner too," he adds cheerfully.

Simultaneously flying up to a seated position in bed, Emily and Alison frantically look to one another, remaining silent as possible.

"What do we do," Alison whispers as she reaches out hold Emily's hands.

"I'll figure out something," Emily replies with determination, "Just follow my lead".

Opening the door to her bedroom, Emily exits and casually walks down the hallway, rubbing her eyes as if she'd been taking a nap. Tiptoeing silently behind Emily, Alison skirts the wall of the long hallway and pauses before the it's ending. Emily suddenly stops as well, turning around to face Alison with her finger pressed lightly to her lips. "Wait for my signal," Emily whispers before turning the corner to distract Toby.

Emily, always quick on her feet, yawns and announces, "Hey man. Sorry, I was taking a nap," as she stands in the doorway leading into the kitchen, effectively blocking Toby from exiting the confines of the kitchen.

"No worries," Toby reassures as he begins to unpack the contents of a large, brown bag.

Peering around the corner, Alison watches and waits for Emily's signal to quietly exit the apartment. Fully prepared to leave at a moments notice, Alison holds her breath in anticipation.

"So what did you bring home for dinner," Emily inquires casually as she leans against the doorway.

"I figured we hadn't had Chinese in awhile so I bought our usual favorites," Toby answers cheerfully.

"Oh hell yes," Emily replies approvingly while walking backwards towards the couch, "Do me a favor, grab me a bowl and fork and I'll pop on ESPN".

"Sounds like a plan," Toby concludes turning his back and reaching for the necessary supplies.

Turning in the television and ramping up the volume, Emily frantically looks towards Toby who's still oblivious in the kitchen.

"Go," Emily mouths to Alison while gesturing her towards the door.

Scurrying to the door and quickly, yet quietly opening the door, Alison slinks through the doorway. Turning around for a brief moment, Alison gives Emily a playful wink before slyly closing the door, completely undetected.

Emily, relieved that Alison was able to leave without Toby noticing, sighs loudly as she throws herself onto the couch.

"What's that huge sigh all about," Toby questions as he extends a bowl for Emily to take.

"Nothing much really," Emily lies, "Just have a lot on my mind".

"Well if you're not going to admit it, I'll go ahead and say it" Toby chuckles while taking a seat on the other side of the sofa, "You have feelings for her".

"Excuse me," Emily asks through a mouth full of food.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about. Don't even lie to me. You know that I know you better than anyone" Toby laughs triumphantly as he watches his friend squirm in her place.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Emily mumbles defensively.

"Oh bull crap Em," Toby retorts, "For months now there's been nothing but blonde bimbos coming and going out of this apartment. And even better, they all look exactly the same... and exactly like her".

"I'm going through a blonde phase Toby, " Emily attempts to explain, "I feel like it's getting too boring now. I need to switch it up. Maybe I'll try Asians".