Chapter 11: Six months later

(Isle of Berk)

"Alright, listen up you lot!" Astrid barked impatience and frustration dripping in her tone.

Four children, all ranging from eight to ten years old, perked up in attention at the nearly-eighteen year old Shield-Maiden. They had all been playing together, but seeing the armored girl with a battle-axe in her hand reminded them this wasn't the time for procrastination- they were in the Kill Ring, after all.

"As I'm sure your parents have told you, you will all be starting Dragon Training early. For the next few months, I'm your teacher." She continued, pleased that she'd caught their usually lacking attention.

"Bu-What happened to Gobber?" One of them squeaked, fiddling nervously with his fingers.

"He's been working too hard in the forge, and without Gustav-" several of the kids turned to eye the black-haired child in question, who refused to meet their gaze. "-he has a lot to get done. That's why I'm here."

"Do we get to kill Dragons today?" Another asked excitedly, scanning the arena for any doors with any of the winged beasts possibly held behind them.

Astrid smirked at the child, finding his enthusiasm and stupidity humorous. "Not for a long time, kiddo. This is all about staying alive; the killing won't come until you are at least fifteen." All four of them looked crestfallen at the news, their hopes of becoming the youngest Dragon slayer quickly being extinguished.

"Okay, let's get to it." Astrid said, clanging her axe on the ground to snap them back to attention. "Before we start anything serious, ya need to get the blood flowing. Five laps of the arena and then get into pairs when you're done." She waved the kids away, and they quickly began their run around the Kill Ring.

Astrid walked up to the nearby weapon rack and leaned heavily against it. She let out a heavy sigh, trying to shut out the fatigue numbing her senses.

She wasn't tired- she was utterly exhausted.

The past six months had been harder than ever for her, and for a number of reasons. Snotlout's marriage contracts were something of a weekly occurrence, and combat challenges for her affection were closer to a daily occurrence. Every Viking who wasn't a hermit knew of her 'love destiny', and Astrid was embarrassed to have her personal life uncovered and shared as if it were nothing. She made it clear she would show interest in anyone who could best her, but so far none had come close.

On a positive note, the challenges and dragon raids meant she was as sharp and deadly as ever. Her body was thin but lithe with muscle- carved from dodging the enraged beasts and an ever dwindling supply of food. Her hair was in a single blond braid, running all the way down her shoulder and onto her red undershirt. Her axe was the only thing which remained unchanged over the two years since Hiccup had perished- though in a far worse condition.

Gods, she missed Hiccup so much. Her demons continue to haunt her sleep, she truly regretted treating Hiccup badly, though she didn't physically abuse him, she did beat him down with her words. And if she could reverse the sun and change the events leading to his demise, she'd do it in a heartbeat.

"Come on, you lot. Push those legs!" She called out, watching them struggle for breath as they completed their third lap.

Well, most of them.

Gustav was nearly a lap behind the rest, panting heavily with his head slung low. Astrid held a degree of sympathy for the kid, he was the only one of the four kids who worked full time, and was exhausted most days as a result.

"Mind if I interrupt training, Astrid?"

She turned to stare at a behemoth of a Viking at the entrance to the Kill Ring. He'd just turned seventeen, and was nearly the size of her parents. His face had light stubble on it, and his blond hair was considered short by Viking standards. Despite looking like the typical mutton-head, he had a soft heart and was a childhood friend.