Prompt 8

PROMPT 8

1. Write a chapter where your character goes somewhere “everyone knows their name”.

2. Write a chapter where your character laughs so hard a drink comes out of their nose. 

3. Write a chapter where a character pigs out a buffet and vomits afterwards. 

4. Write a chapter where your character jumps on a giant trampoline in the middle of the night.

Male Perspective

Characters: Alec (Sweet) and Vanessa (Self-conscious) 

        “Hey, Alec!” My cousin James shouted from the park bench in my Uncle Greg’s backyard. 

        My family and I were attending a family reunion at my uncle Greg’s house—more like a mansion—that was about half an hour drive from our home. I brought Vanessa along, because I really did want her to meet my crazy family. We were serious about our relationship. She had met my parents, so it was the perfect opportunity for her to meet the rest of my family. 

        “Hey, James.” I smiled and gave Vanessa a cup of lemonade I poured. “James is twenty-six, and the son of Uncle Greg. He’s also an IT specialist. Trust me, he earns a ton working for Grey Enterprise Holding.”

        Vanessa’s eyes widened. “No way! You mean he works for the Christian Grey?”

        I nodded and drained the lemonade from my cup. Vanessa and I filled our plate with food from the buffet and sat under a tree. 

        “This food is really good. Your Aunt Jana sure can cook.” Vanessa praised as she licked the barbecue sauce from her fingers. 

        “She can bake too. She owns a restaurant and bakery. I should bring you there sometime.”

        “Make that as soon as possible.” Vanessa continued to lick her fingers. 

        “Alec! Come and watch the chicken while I go for some more in the kitchen.” Uncle Tony shouted. He wore a blue apron over the floral shirt and jeans he wore. He loved Hawaii so much that he wore every shirt from Hawaii whenever he could. 

        I got up and beckoned for Vanessa to follow me. She smiled and I pulled her off the ground. While we watched the chicken, Aunt Jana came over to the grill and based each chicken with some red sauce. 

        “What’s that?” Vanessa asked, while she observed the slim woman with her red hair piled on top of her head. 

        Aunt Jana grinned at Vanessa and me. “My secret sauce.” She leaned closer and whispered, “Don’t tell Tony I put the sauce on the chicken. He really thinks his sauce is better than mine, but we all know that ain’t true.”

        “I can bet yours is way better.” Vanessa chimed. 

        “I like you.” Aunt Jana said, giving Vanessa an appreciative smile. 

        “I tried some of the chicken earlier and I couldn’t stop licking my fingers.” 

        “Ha!” Aunt Jana said triumphantly, as if Vanessa validated her point even more. “Tony would seriously argue with me if he heard you say that. He just doesn’t know when he’s lost.” 

        “I’ll bring Vanessa to the restaurant when I can.” I said.

        “That’d be great. We’ll talk later.” She nodded and returned from the direction, which she came. I remember my dad telling me stories about Aunt Jana and Uncle Tony competing for various things when they were younger. Sibling rivalry. They both wanted to prove to each other they were the best at anything.