Prompt 4

PROMPT 4

1.     Write a scene where your character hears an unbearable truth.

2.     Write a scene where your character has a flashback from childhood.

Male Perspective

Characters: Alec (Sweet) and Vanessa (Self-conscious)

        Within a few hours I was out of the hospital. I drove Vanessa home and kissed her good night. Now that I think about it, I maybe shouldn’t have been driving because of the little accident.

        “I’ll see you tomorrow, love.” I wrapped one of her brown tendrils around my index finger and stared at her blushing face.

        She gave me a quick glance and pecked my lips. “Later.” She closed the door, and I hurried back to my truck.

        When I entered my home, I saw my mom in the kitchen talking on the phone. She wore a pained expression on her face.

        I wonder if she heard about my accident in the park.

        I did not tell her about that, because I know she worries a lot. She noticed me and gave me a sad smile. Something was definitely wrong. I walked into the kitchen and sat on one of the stools at the island. My mom hung up the phone, clutched it with her hands, and gave me a forlorn look.

        “What’s wrong?” I asked, anticipating a response.

        “What happened to the side of your head?” My mom rushed to my side and placed her finger on a slender mark on the right side of my head.

        “A cyclist ran into me when I was at the park with Vanessa. It’s nothing big.”

        “I don’t think so.” She continued inspecting the mark.

        “Mom, I’m fine. I went to the hospital and—”

        “What!”

        “Calm down, mom. I’m okay, really. Who were you talking to on the phone? It sounded serious.” I hoped that question would distract her from the concern she had about my accident in the park.

        “Alec,” my mom frowned, “your great-grandmother died today.”

        I was stunned for a moment. “Grandma Linda?”

        My mom slowly nodded her head. “She passed away in her sleep.” The only great-grandmother I had left…died. She was going to visit me next week. She was a strong ninety-six year old woman, who was witty in her own humorous way.

        Why did she have to die?

        A tear rolled down my cheek, and my mom wrapped her arm around my shoulder. “She passed away peacefully. Don’t worry, darling. It’s okay if you want to cry.” I cried until my eyes were puffy. My great-grandma was gone, and she wasn’t coming back.

        I remembered when I was seven and she visited me for my birthday. She brought the biggest gift, and I was so excited to open it, but dad told me I had to wait until I blew out the candles on my birthday cake.

FLASHBACK

        Grandma placed the large gift she bought for me in the corner. She knelt to my level and placed a kiss on my cheek.

        “Hi, Grandma Linda! Is that gift for me?”

        She patted my head and smiled. “Of course! You’re the birthday boy.”

        “Thanks, Grandma. I wanna open it now.” I rushed off into the direction of the biggest gift sitting in the corner.

        “Alec! After you blow out the candles on your cake you can open your gifts.” My dad walked over to me and pointed to my birthday cake.

        I pouted and folded my arms. “Dad, I wanna open it now. Grandma brought it for me.”

        “After you blow out the candles.” Dad put his hands on my shoulders and gently pushed me in the direction of my cake.

        Grandma walked over to me and patted my head. “James, let the boy open his gift. It’s his birthday.” I moved from my dad’s arms and clutched my grandma’s hand. She was right. It was my birthday, and I was sure dad could give me chance of opening my gift before I blew out my candles.

        He sighed and looked at me. “Okay.”

        I  instantly ran toward my gift, and took off the wrapping paper. Standing before me was a large box with a boy riding an army truck. I jumped up and down. I had always wanted a truck to drive around the yard. I ran to grandma and she scooped me in her arms.

        “Thank you so much, Grandma Linda. You’re the best!”

        She kissed my forehead. “You’re the best, Alec. Want to show me how great you can drive after we eat?”

        “Yes!”

END FLASHBACK

        I had so much fun riding that truck when I was younger. I never got tired of circling the yard. I still had that truck, working in perfect condition. Pity I couldn’t fit in it anymore. I gave it to Anna, who has had a blast riding it around the yard too.

        I wonder if she heard about Grandma Linda.

        She was going to be so devastated when mom told her. My dad would take it the hardest; she was his grandmother.