Prompt 5

PROMPT 5

1.     Write a scene where your character shop lifts from the store and almost gets caught.

2.     Write a scene where your character has a nightmare and they have to be comforted by someone special.

3.     Write a scene where your character has to babysit a bad kid.

Male Perspective

Characters: Alec (Sweet) and Vanessa (Self-conscious)

               Vanessa and I walked down the street to the candy store. She was nervous about the next item on her list of things to do before she dies. Honestly, I wasn’t up for this specific item, but she wanted to do it anyway.

            “I want to crawl out of my shell and do something risky.” Vanessa stuffed her hands in the pocket of her coat.

            “I get that. But shoplifting? That’s breaking the law.”

            “I’ve never broken the law before.”

            “Yeah, and I don’t see why you should start now. Not that I’m condoning breaking the law, but graffiti would have been easier.” I sighed and stopped a few metres from the entrance of the candy store.

            “If you want to back out, I understand.”

            I shook my head. “No,” I kissed her cheek, “I just hope you don’t get caught.”

            She smiled and grabbed my arm. “You’re sweet.”

        We entered the large candy store. It was like candy heaven for anyone. Large orbs filled with fake candy hung from the ceiling. The floor was tiled white and reflected the candy sitting on each shelf. There was so much candy, even ones from the late 90s.

        Vanessa went to a random isle and scanned each shelf. She smiled to herself and grabbed two bags of Skittles. She glanced at me.

        “These?” I asked, wondering if she was going to steal these two items.

        “Something smaller. I’ll purchase these.” She continued scanning the shelves and stopped in front of a basket with small, round, multi-coloured candy wrapped in transparent paper. She took up a handful and quickly stuffed them in the inside pocket of her coat. I bit my lip and looked ahead of us. A teenage boy, dressed in black vans, burgundy skinny jeans, and a black button down shirt, stared at us. His hair looked like he had repeatedly run his hands through it. He had a round face with piercing grey eyes, and a lip ring on the left of his bottom lip.

        He glanced at me and eyed Vanessa. He grabbed a large Hershey’s chocolate bar and quickly stuffed it under his shirt. He strolled up to us and looked at Vanessa. She had to look up into his face because of the way he towered over her with a smirk on his face. I instantly pulled her toward me.

        The boy grinned. “I won’t say anything if you won’t.” He leaned his head a little to the right and looked at me.

“Okay.” Vanessa’s small voice spoke.

“Good.” He said and walked away.

I felt Vanessa heave a sigh. She tugged my arm with her free hand. “Let’s hurry and get out of here.”

        Vanessa and I sat on the grass and leaned on the stump of a tree overlooking the pond in the park.