IV

Before you could say "covalent bonds", I'm back in the library with Louis. I'm lecturing him on dot diagrams when he says something.

"I feel like we spend so much time together every Wednesday and yet we still don't really know each other," Louis says. "Tell me a little about yourself."

"Okay, well..." I begin. Louis' put me on the spot; I'm not really sure what I should say. "I love to read books and play video games?" I say, unsure of how much detail I should go into. 

"Ugh, you're so much cooler than me," Louis says. "I just play football all day. It gets quite boring."

I am appalled. The star quarterback, saying that his claim to fame is boring?! And saying that I'm so much cooler than he is, even though he's been homecoming king two years in a row? 

Before I get a chance to voice my shock, Louis starts speaking again.

"What I really want to do..." he leans in and lowers his voice to a whisper. "...is to become a singer." 

I almost fall out of my chair. I never really thought Louis was the musical type.

"What type of music do you play?" I somehow manage to squeak out. I'm so in shock; it's hard to string words together in a cohesive sentence.

"Rock. I wanna be a member of the next Rolling Stones." Wow, I didn't think preppy jocks like him could name a classic rock band. I was so sure that all they listened to was that rap garbage and Top 40.

"That's...that's amazing." I say. I must admit, I'm in awe. And I've totally misjudged Louis. There's so much more to him than meets the eye. Oh, God, I'm totally fangirling over him, I think, cringing at myself. We sit in silence for a few seconds before Louis says that he has a chapter test coming up and wants to get back to reviewing the material. 

As I ask Louis questions about the material and he answers them thoughtfully and correctly, I can't help but notice how good he looks in the crappy fluorescent light. The way those electric blue eyes sparkle...I find myself thinking. I quickly snap out of it. You are his Chemistry tutor, Harry, I remind myself. You can not fall in love with him. 

Wait. Fall in love? Where did that thought come from? I'm going crazy, I think. There's no way that I, a geek, could ever fall in love with the star quarterback of the football team. 

The tutoring session could not end quickly enough after that.