IX

The next day at school, I look for Louis everywhere, wanting nothing more than to talk to him about the events of the weekend. I am elated when I finally see him walking down the hall.

I am crushed when he walks straight past me as if I don't exist.

Maybe he just didn't see you, I reassure myself. But something deep down in my gut knows that that's not the case.

Hey, I text Louis that night. He never responds. 

Walking out of school the next day, I see Louis and Stephanie making out on the steps, like he didn't tell me that he loved me less than 48 hours ago. 

Finally, Wednesday arrives. I have two whole hours to talk to Louis. However, he never even sits down after walking into the library.

"My Chemistry grades are way up," Louis says. "My teacher says that I don't need you to tutor me anymore." He turns and walks out. I sit alone in the library, bawling my eyes out. 

I spend the next few weeks moping around. I can't shake off the sadness I feel. I'm heartbroken. Louis tells me he loves me one night, and then proceeds to act as if I don't exist. I cry myself to sleep every night. I miss Louis. I want him back. He was so good to me, so right. I want us back.

All anyone at school can talk about is the junior prom. I'm not planning on going, but my mom forces me to. She's worried about me after I spend the better half of a month sulking all the time. I don't even look the vendor in the eye as I buy my ticket.

"Will you be bringing a date with you?" The vendor asks me. I laugh.