2. Coffee Shop

"What can I get for you?" I asked the customer in front of me. She looked up at the menu for a few more seconds and then turned to me. She looked like those entitled woman who had professionally done hair and nails. I hated people who thought they were better than everyone because they had money.

"I'll have a bacon, egg, and cheese, on a croissant. Along with a small hot caramel latte with whole milk," the business woman said. I punched in everything before giving her the order number. Giving me a pitiful look, she went to collect her food and drink. I rolled my eyes at her back. That's one thing I hated about working at a coffee shop. I got people like her.

Today was a slow day at Rachel's Cafe. Rachel, the owner, was a cute little old lady who gave me the job because I desperately needed a job, and plus I had been a regular there for 5 years. I always came in, ordering a hot chocolate. This place had the best hot chocolate. It was so smooth and tasted like melted Lindt chocolate.

I started to scrub down the latte machine as the events from earlier today came back into my mind. At lunch, Joseph decided it was okay to sit with Ellie and I. He kept trying to talk to me, but it just made me feel super uncomfortable. Next, in English, we got assigned Hamlet by Shakespeare to read by the end of the month and do a huge project on it, with partners. Two things I hated about this was one, I hated reading Shakespeare, and two, I hated partnered projects.

For the project, I got partnered with Isaac Brown, Ellie's "boyfriend". Ellie and Isaac have been on and off for the past 2 years but she claimed he was trying to be better. I said that he was just a douche bag and that she should just move on. Isaac was the type of guy that didn't really care who he was with, as long as he was getting some. Plus he was not the brightest, meaning I would inevitably be doing the project by myself.

I was so zoned out that I didn't notice the bell ring. It rang whenever a customer came in. I wiped my hands on my brown apron. "I'm sorry to keep you waiting. What can I get for you?" I asked the customer. I looked up and I almost choked. The guy standing in front of me was absolutely gorgeous. He was a head taller than me with the most beautiful blue-green eyes I had ever seen. He had dark brown hair that was tossled, but in a way it made him look good.

His beautiful pink lips started moving but I didn't hear anything that he said. I usually didn't gawk at guys, but this guy was just so good looking. I shook my head and asked "sorry can you repeat that?"

He smiled at me as his eyes sparkled. "Of course. I'll take a double shot of espresso over ice with mocha." I had never seen this guy in my life, and I lived in a town with one school. I pretty much knew everyone at school. Maybe that was why I was staring at him. Let's blame it on him being new, and not for the fact that he was so handsome.

I put in his order and handed him his receipt. My fingers grazed his as he took the paper. I shuddered. "Thank you," he said as he smiled again, showing his perfectly white teeth. Who's teeth are that white? I ask myself.

How can someone be that good looking? I turned to focus cleaning the counter. Mr. Hotstuff came over and grabbed his coffee. Instead of going to a table near a window, he decided to sit on a stool at the front counter. He watched me as I cleaned anything I can find to avoid eye-contact.

I finally built up enough courage to ask, "do you go to Westbury High?"

He took a sip of his coffee. "No. I'm home schooled. I just moved from the other side of town, though. This side is cleaner. I live right across the street." He said as he pointed towards the brick apartment complex across the street. He was right. The other side of town was where all the homeless people and druggies were.

"Must be lonely," I said as I looked at him. I could never imagine being home schooled. No human contact whatsoever. Just you and your parents or whoever would be teaching you. Kind of like jail.