Chapter 2

Laura shuffled the papers in front of her, stacking them neatly and lifting her pen over a blank page of her notebook. She glanced across the room, where the class presidents were sitting in their area together. She spotted the familiar red head, who had her papers already set and her hands folded in her lap, ready to start the meeting. Laura smiled softly, thinking about how Ako always seemed prepared before everyone else.

"Okay everyone, welcome back, let's get started," Tsubasa said, standing up at her front desk.

The room came down to a silence to turn their attention to her.

"Thank you," she said, "first of all, thank you all for coming. We're going to have a great year this year. Today we're going to go over things that we're going to be doing and needing this year. With the new programs that we're doing this semester, we are expecting more student engagement. Unfortunately, more student engagement also means that students will be devoting their time to it that may cause grades to fall. And so, we are going to getting more tutors for students available. Any student who shows a B or higher on their most recent exam can be a tutor for another student. If you're interested, please see Miki about it." Miki waved her hand from her seat.

Tsubasa continued, "Next thing, this year, along with every year, we are doing student body elections again. Several of the yearly positions are opening up, as will mine." She grinned, "I'm looking forward to all of the upcoming campaigns."

The meeting continued, with Tsubasa going on to talk about various other things.

"The next thing we have is the school festival occurring in a few weeks. We'll have each class and each club with a booth. Class Presidents, please decide with you classes what you will do and fill out one of these forms. We'll pass them around, please grab one. As for the other body members, you will all have assigned jobs."

After a few more announcements, Tsubasa wrapped up, letting the meeting come to an end. The room full of students erupted into chatter and bustled as they gathered their things to exit.

Laura grabbed her bag and stepped out of the room, spotting Ako a little ahead of her. She took bigger steps to catch up, "Seems like a busy year, huh?"

Ako jumped in surprise, "Ah, that's right."

They chatted quietly before they separated to get to their classroom.

Later, when the bell for lunch period rang, Laura gathered a stack of papers that she had to look over. She then hooked her middle and pinky fingers through the strap of her lunch bag and lifted the stack with both hands. She exited the room to head outside and meet up with the girls outside.

"Laura! You left without me!" Yume cried, following quickly with her own lunch in hands.

Laura, who was skimming the top page of her stack, stopped and turned, "Oh, sorry Yume. I've got a lot of work to do for the council." She continued walking.

"Work..." Yume hummed, "oh, right! Laura, do you happen to know any places I could get a job at?"

Laura faltered in her steps, shooting a surprised look at Yume, "A job? Why are you looking for a job?"

Yume pursed her lips, "For... money? It's for..." she lowered her voice, "tuition."

Laura paused. That's right, Yume's parents owned a bakery. Laura swallowed her uneasiness. "I... I don't know. What have you tried?"

"Tried?" Yume blinked, "I haven't tried anything yet."

Laura deadpanned, "Oh Yume." She sighed, looking down at her papers, thinking.