Chapter 4

Mahiru carefully tapped her pen against the notebook on her desk, thinking. Currently, she was writing a to-do list for herself. So far she had coming up with demonstrations for the karate club booth, designing and producing an outfit for the fashion show, and getting a few more people on board with that and approving their outfit choices. However, she was sure she was forgetting something or another to add to the list.

She groaned and dropped the purple gel pen, palming her forehead as she let out a sigh of frustration.

Suddenly, she heard footsteps running down the hallway and then a knock at her door.

"Come in," Mahiru called, pushing back her chair and standing for a break.

Yozora popped her head in, "Mahiru! Come on, mom and dad are pulling up!"

Mahiru brightened up. That must have been what she forgot! Her parents were coming home after a few weeks of their most recent business trip! Mahiru ran after Yozora down to the living room, where Asahi was just opening the door, letting in their parents.

"We're back!"

"Welcome home!"

~0~

After greeting each other, they all ate the special dinner Asahi cooked up and relaxed some. Mahiru was sitting with her mom in the living room, reading a magazine while her mom was watching some TV.

"Mahiru," Misaki called as she switched off the television, "would you play the piano for me?"

Mahiru stiffened. Oh no, another thing she happened to forget about.

She nodded despite the feeling of dread that washed over her, putting her magazine on the coffee table and standing up to cross the room where the piano sat. She carefully sat down on the polished bench and lifted the cover from the keys. Feeling her mother's eyes on her back, Mahiru stretched her fingers out in front of her and hovered them over the keys.

What was she even going to play? The one she remembered at least the beginning of, obviously. It was a piece by Mozart that she finally began playing. She played the slow tune, carefully so she could hope to remember what came next as she went on. Mahiru winced as she hit the obviously wrong key; her mother didn't say anything so she continued playing.

Her tune was getting slower, as she struggled to remember which key it was to hit next each time, and her shoulders falling as she knew it was being played very badly.

"Stop," Misaki cut in.

Mahiru immediately dropped her hands to her lap, not daring to turn back.

She heard her mom sigh, "Mahiru... I hope that performance was because it was one of your weaker pieces and not because you are forgetting."

Mahiru gulped but stayed quiet.

"I want you to start practicing again. Seems that you have been slacking off with piano." Misaki said.

Mahiru heard her stand and come closer to put a on her shoulder, "I'm going to want to hear this piece again in a few weeks, okay young lady?"

Mahiru nodded, keeping her head down as her mom ran her fingers through her hair.

"My, your hair has gotten quite long..." Misaki muttered, "Ah, I know! How about I do your hair? And you can wear it tomorrow?"

Mahiru faced her mom and smiled, "I would love that." She stood up and hugged her.

Misaki smiled, leaning her head on Mahiru's, "I just want you to be the best. You and your brother and sister."

"Yes mom," Mahiru replied, breathing in slowly.