In the Hospital

I sat by Alice’s bed silently, grateful that she was alive. She looked so peaceful as she slept. But I couldn’t help being worried about her and her recovery. She went through a lot these past two weeks. The doctor had told me that she was put into a medically induced coma to reduce the amount of swelling around her brain while she recovered. She is going to need a lot of help getting through this obstacle, and I planned on being with her for the whole journey.

Hours passed before Alice stirred. I had fallen asleep beside her when I felt her hand move. I lifted my head and looked at her, hoping she would wake up. The doctors had told me that she may twitch while she was sleeping due to the electrical activity in her brain. But this didn’t feel like a twitch. Her hand moved again, so I knew it wasn’t a twitch. “Alice, I’m here, love. Squeeze my hand if you can hear me.” At first, she didn’t squeeze my hand, giving me false hope. Then, just as I was about to lose hope, she squeezed my hand ever so slightly.

Hurriedly, I pressed the call button for the nurse and continued to talk to her. “Babe, the doctors put you into a medically induced coma so you can heal some. Save your energy for when the doctor gets here. I’m not leaving your side.” As I said that, I could have sworn Alice smiled when I told her I wasn’t leaving her side.

A minute later, a nurse walked into the room. “You rang?” she asked me as she looked at me. “She moved!” I exclaimed. “Are you sure it wasn’t just a twitch?” she asked. “Yes. I asked her to squeeze my hand and she did.” I answered as she rushed over to check Alice’s vital signs.  She wrote something down in her chart and then rushed out of the room again, without saying a word to me.

I sat down next to Alice’s bed again and held her hand, whispering promises to her. “When we get out of here, I am going to put a ring on your finger.” I whispered. I couldn’t believe that it took nearly losing Alice for me to realize that I wanted to make her my wife.

My mind wandered while I waited for the nurse to come back. Just as I checked out into my own little world, the nurse comes back. This time, she had the doctor with her. They were speaking in some sort of medical mumbo jumbo that I didn’t understand.

“Mr. Sykes?” the doctor says to me when he was finished looking over Alice. I stood up. “Yes?” The doctor grasped my hand and introduced himself. “I have looked over Alice’s chart. Though she has sustained a heavy amount of trauma, it seems as if she is going to pull through. Her vitals are stabilizing and she seems to respond to stimuli. However, we are going to gradually decrease her medication dosages so that she can still make a full recovery without any complications.” I nodded as the doctor talked. As much as I would give to have my Alice awake again, I knew that the important thing was to trust the doctors so that she could recover fully.

Author’s note:

Hey all! This book is slowly winding down. I’m not sure if I want to write a sequel for this one, as it will be harder to write. I hope you all are enjoying the story!