Chapter 1

Nico di Angelo knew he was in trouble the minute he felt the foreign god's power. Even then, something inside him told him to stay put. Whether it was the link to someone of the same powers or the mere laziness of not wanting to get up, Nico stayed sitting against the headstone.

He had been searching for Percy, even though he knew it was a lost cause. He had searched everywhere, including the Underworld and every country he could think of. None held the idiotic son of Poseidon, nor held any clues of his whereabouts. Nico had given up, but Annabeth refused to. Even though he was gone. Disappeared.

Nico had taken a break in the cemetery when he first started to feel the power, causing his senses to go on high alert. Looking around, he noticed the area darken as all the mortals soon left, mumbling about rain and bad weather. Grabbing the hilt of his sword, Nico finally stood up. "Who's there?"

"Nico di Angelo. Nice to meet you." a voice said from behind him, making him spin around quickly. A boy about sixteen perched on a nearby mausoleum, his eyes and hair dark enough to match Nico's. He was smirking slightly, messing with the laces of his combat boots.

"So, what monster are you?" Nico asked, gripping his sword tightly but otherwise staying calm. "Do you know where Percy is?"

The boy smiled, jumping down from the mausoleum and holding his hand out to shake. "Anubis, the Egyptian god of-"

"Death." Nico finished. "Yeah, I know you. What do you want?"

Anubis was a bit taken aback before smiling. "I like you."

Nico rolled his eyes, lowering his sword. "I'm busy and don't feel like dealing with anything Egyptian. Now, if you would be so kind-"

"Your father sent me." Anubis looked serious for the first time since being there. "So I think you should hear me out. And you didn't look quite busy unless you were busy taking a nap."

Nico looked at him in confusion, trying to fit the puzzle pieces together. Why on earth would Hades send an Egyptian god as a messenger? Unless... "Is something wrong?"

Anubis shrugged. "There are multiple ways to look at it. I see it as a way to help both of our problems."

"You know where I can find Percy?!" Nico perked his head up, all traces of fear forgotten. "Then tell me, you jackal-headed freak!"

Anubis crossed his arms. "I don't know where he is, so please restrain from name calling. I get that enough as it is."

"Then there's no other problems you can help me with." Nico turned to leave, sheathing his sword.

"There's a war coming." Anubis said calmly. "We all know it. The sea god's spawn is only the start of it."

Nico bit his lip. "What did my father say?"

Anubis smiled. "Now who wants to talk?"

Nico walked up to him quickly, grabbing his collar. "Stop playing with me and spill!" Was he nervous about yelling at a god that could probably kill him in a wave of the hand? Usually, the answer would be yes. But lately nothing was of the usual. With Percy gone the world felt like it had been turned upside down.

Anubis gently unclasped his fingers from his shirt, pushing him away. "Calm down. You Greeks are so uptight."

"You Egyptians are so irrelevant and show up at the worst times." Nico countered.

"Your father picked the time."

"My father is an a-"

"Do you really want to test him whilst we stand in a graveyard?" Anubis interrupted. "Uptight yet irresponsible."

Nico bit his lip, trying to control his anger. There was a reason he tried to cross paths with this death god the lease amount possible. Without even trying, Anubis seemed to annoy him to no end. "Tell me why you're here."

"A deal. To help both our sides in both our wars." Anubis crossed his arms, his smile dropping. "We're both having trouble and could use some help."

Nico nodded a little. "So you have insight about our upcoming war? Why do you think we'll need you?"

"Because you will face beings that can only be killed when demigods and gods work together." Anubis explained. "I don't see any of your deities helping, no offense."

"I took offense look ago." Nico sighed heavily, putting his head in his hands. "Why are these things always up to me?"

"You're powerful. Almost too powerful. And your bloodline is very unique." Anubis commented.

"Okay, now you sound like a stalker." Nico sat down, kicking at a stray rock. "Perfect."

"Do you know of Egyptian ways?" Anubis asked, sitting next to him. "If so, this talk will go much quicker."

"This talk. You sound like we're breaking up."

"We barely-"

"I was joking." Nico gazed at him closely. "You don't get out much, do you?"

"Do you know of Egyptian culture or not?" Anubis asked, flushed in embarrassment. Could gods get embarrassed? Mentally, Nico shrugged. It wouldn't be very surprising, with all the things he'd seen considered.

"I know you weirdos mummified people and have your hearts weighed next to a feather. Which seems physically impossible if you think about it. No human heart would ever weight less than a feather, so basically you're setting everybody up with punishment. Not a terrific way of judgment, especially compared to the Greek side of things. But I guess it's alright. You don't have to deal with as many souls and you can spend your time with your silly little hosts-"

"So you do know. Thanks." Anubis cut in. "And they're not silly little hosts. They're Egyptian magicians."

"That's great. What does this have to do with me?" Nico asked. "Because if you're implying what I think you're implying, my answer is no."

"Hear me out-"

"No."

"Your father came to me with the idea!" Anubis glared at him. "He thought, with our combined powers, we could increase the odds of both of our successes with our wars."

Nico rolled his eyes. "I don't fancy you in my body, no offense."

"Any other ideas, Nico? We both need help. Don't you get it? This may be the only way to survival." Anubis pleaded.

"They'll think of me even more as a traitor." Nico stood up. "I'm leaving."

"They don't need to know, you idiot," Anubis growled. "Let down your pride and think about how many lives you could save. How many lives we could save."

"You know, you're really annoying." Nico managed, his mouth going dry. He knew, without a doubt, that this was what he had to do, but he didn't like it. He didn't want to own up to it or become the martyred hero. No, all he wanted to do was stay safe in the Underworld and let the others win. The heroes. Nico was no hero, no matter what he said. Everything he did was for him or his family. Not anybody else. He was no hero.

Yet, he still found himself saying yes to Anubis that night.

And everything changed for the worst.