Chapter 2

"How do we do this?" Nico asked, standing in the cemetery nervously. "Do you just enter me or something? Wait, scratch that because that sounds horrible."

Anubis frowned, watching him. "Why are you so worked up?"

"Because I'm about to get a very annoying god in me," Nico replied bitterly. "And you won't leave until the wars are over."

"Well,...-"

"Well?" Nico asked, turning to look at him quickly. "What do you mean 'well'?"

"First of all, you need to understand." Anubis held his hands out in surrender. "We can only take those of the blood of the pharaohs as hosts."

"So go find one of those," Nico stated.

"I did. You." Anubis watched him closely. "Your blood is very unique. That's why you're so powerful. Half of your genetic makeup is from Hades. So you have all of that power. Then, you have your mother's side. She was born in Rome before moving to Venice. She was descended from one of the pharaohs, but her mother was one of my hosts."

Nico looked up in surprise. "So, technically-"

"You are descended from me and are the child of your father. You are very powerful for a demigod. That's what makes all of this powerful." Anubis continued. "But there's a downside."

Nico crossed his arms. "Get it over with."

"Because of the death in your soul, my soul would connect with yours," Anubis replied carefully.

"Okay...? What is that supposed to mean?" Nico asked.

"It means that if you become my host, there's no going back," Anubis said quietly. "My soul would never be able to unravel itself from yours."

"Whelp, this has been a great talk. I've got to go now." Nico grabbed his sword off the ground.

"Nico," Anubis pleaded. "Both our worlds need this. You know that."

"You're going to be in my head until the day I die!" Nico shouted. "No!"

"I can draw away my subconscious. Most of the time it will be like an empathy link." Anubis explained.

Nico shook his head. "I'm my own person."

"We've established that." Anubis agreed. "But you have to be the hero. No one else can."

"I'm no hero," Nico said bitterly.

"Then at least be the martyr," Anubis replied. "For your sister and your friends."

"Stop acting like you know me!" Nico yelled, clenching his fists. Anubis moved up a couple places on the scale of 1 to hate.

"I will when we join," Anubis replied. "And you will know me just as well."

"I hate you," Nico whispered, glaring at the ground.

Anubis walked up to him, gently touching his shoulder. "Nico, you know what you have to do."

"Make it fast before I change my mind," Nico muttered, crossing his arms over his chest tightly.

Anubis smiled in relief, handing him a necklace with a jackal pennant. "Put this on."

Nico nodded, taking it from him and putting it on.

"Always wear it on the outside of your clothes," Anubis instructed. "Don't ever take it off."

Nico nodded. "Okay, hurry up."

Anubis put on his own necklace, this of the symbol of Hades. "This shows we're connected to any Egyptian that sees you."

"Great," Nico replied stubbornly.

Anubis rolled his eyes, putting a hand to his forehead. "Close your eyes."

"You close your eyes." Nico shot back.

"Close your eyes unless you want to go blind," Anubis replied.

Nico sighed heavily, closing his eyes. "Don't try anything funny."

Anubis nodded, closing his eyes in concentration. His form began to glow, Nico seeing the light through his closed eyelids. Once the light was gone, Nico opened his eyes. Power surged through his veins as his heart sped up, his eyes widening in shock.

It worked. Anubis' voice spoke in his mind. I'm surprised it didn't take more. You feel that power? That's what we're going to use to win.

Nico nodded, shaking as he tried to get used to it. He started to breathe heavily, smiling.

He could use the power to find Percy.

Yes, you can. Anubis agreed.

Nico frowned immediately. "You can read my thoughts. That's rather intrusive, don't you think?"

I could also take over your body but I haven't done that. Anubis replied. Learn to appreciate what you have.

Nico frowned, fingering the necklace he wore. "I have to make a stop at Camp Jupiter, to check in on Hazel."

I'm not stopping you.

Nico sighed, rubbing his head. This was going to be a long life.