Chapter 11

Astrid's POV———————————

Hiccup sobbed into my shoulder for a while clinging to me like his life depended on it. I pulled back from the embrace slightly to look at his face. He had tear stains all down his cheeks and big red puffy eyes which made my heart break.
"Hiccup." I began softly. He looked as if he was listening but made no eye contact. I placed a finger under his chin and lifted it to look directly into my eyes.

"Hiccup you know you can trust me with this right. We are a team. You and me forever." I grabbed the betrothal necklace stuffed in my tunic and showed it to him. A small smile played on his lips when he saw it.

"Your wearing it."
"Babe I never take it off." He smiled again at this. "Hiccup we are a team and you can tell me anything so what is wrong?" He sighed but opened his mouth to speak.
"I...."
Heather came running over to us
"Guys What is going on? Are you okay Hiccup? Can you fill me in?" Hiccup had rested his head in the crook of my neck again and I could feel his tears sliding down my skin. I grabbed his nearest hand and squeezed it in the attempt to comfort him.
"Heather can you give us a minute?" I asked softly.
"Of course sorry for interrupting."
"No worries Heather."
She hurried back into the arena and I turned my attention back to Hiccup. Once he knew the coast was clear he looked back up at me.

"I can't do it Astrid."
"Do What."
"I can't be chief I am rubbish at leading people I can barely keep Snotlout and the twins in check let alone the whole village. I am a weak Viking. I can barely survive a fight without Toothless. I'm just a fishbone and that is never going to change. What am I going to do Astrid. I can't tell my dad that I can't be chief." More tears started to fall.

"Hiccup....I had no idea." I whispered in his ear carefully as he sobs.
"But Hiccup we are a team and we can get through it together and we will always be here to help you. But you don't need to worry. Your Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III you always find a way to get through it and anyway you are an incredible leader. We could never ask for anyone better."

"Thanks Astrid." He said quietly.
"Anytime. Now let's go back into the arena..."
"Astrid wait. Can you not tell anybody about this I don't want it spreading around he village that 'the future chief is a coward' and Snotlout will never let me live it down."
I sighed.

"Okay But you know it isn't good to bottle everything up. Next time just tell me ok."
He nodded his head slightly and grabbed my hand for comfort as we made our way back into the arena to see the gang slumped around bored.

"Finally. Now Hiccup you have to tell us what your fear is. It is the dare." Hiccup froze and gulped worriedly. I gave his hand a quick squeeze.

"No Snotlout he doesn't he told me so it's fine."
"It's not fine we told him our fears so he has to do the same. Or is the future chief to much of a coward to do it. You know I'm not sure you are up to chief maybe your dad will just give the title to me seeing as I am next in line after you anyway. We are cousins aren't we."

As soon as he said that I panicked and looked at Hiccup who was on the verge of tears.

"You know what Snotlout your right."
"What?" He asked the one legged man confused. Hiccup just sighed sadly.

"There is no way that this" He gestured to himself "will ever be up to chief."

"You are right cousin maybe I should talk to Stoick now about giving the honour to me."
I had enough I went over to Snotlout and smacked him so hard across the face my hand was red. His cheek was bright red.

"That Is for being rude to my Hiccup." I looked back over to the boy who's head was looking down at the floor and I could feel my heart shattering at his sad look.

"Hiccup" I whispered quietly in his ear.
"You are going to make an amazing chief and I know that for sure. Look at how you were leading us at the edge. Your an incredible leader and you show that every day. We are all so proud of who you are now. I'm proud. Don't listen to the mutton head. You will be the greatest chief Berk has ever seen. And you know how I know that?" He shrugged. "Because of what is in here." I said placing a hand over his heart.

Heather came to stand beside me.
"Hiccup you will be an amazing chief." She started softly. I used my thumb to brush away the tears on his face. "I can't be too hard anyway. I mean if my brother can do it." He let out a shaky laugh.
"Thanks girls." He brought us into a group hug. The twins and Fishlegs soon followed suit. Leaving Snotlout as the mutton head on his own.

We pulled out of the embrace but I kept an arm wrapped around my fiancé middle. It always feels odd to call him my fiancé. To be married but at the same time it just feels so right.

"Right I'm going to the forge."
"Why?"
"I've got an idea for a new flight suit I have been working on."
"Of course you have Hiccup." I said with an eye roll. He smiled before hopping on Toothless and leaving the arena. It was getting late so we decided to head to the Great hall. Not before giving Snotlout one final punch that is.