Divergent ~ Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE

~~~~~

I wake up with Glory staring at my face with an open mouth. I raise an eyebrow at her and fold my arms, sitting up straight. "What, huh? Not Selfless, am I?"

"Hold on, I gotta go do some shit and come back." Glory leaves the room. I stare at my nails and wonder what's wrong. Time passes and I start to grow impatient. What's taking her so damn long?

Glory comes back and locks the door. I raise an eyebrow. "What happened?"

"You Selfless and Smart and Strong!"

"I can't be," I say in a 'duh' tone. These aptitude tests tell us which onefaction we belong to, not three. So I obviously contradict her.

"Bitch, you ain't administered the test. I did. Shut up and listen to me. You ruled out only Straightforward and Serene, but passed everything else."

"That's bullshit," I say, humphing. "Can't be possible."

"I am trying to save your life you little shit!"

I look at her. How is this supposed to save my life? "What do you mean?"

"Look, Beepiss. We call people who don't have a specific aptitude Convergent. But you can't tell anyone this."

"Duh. We aren't supposed to tell anyone our test results. I know."

"No, dumbshit." Glory rolls her eyes. "Being Convergent means that you're too awesome for this place, and people don't  like people who are too awesome."

Of course, that makes sense. My individuality and awesomeness is too much for this world to handle, so I'm writing a book about it. Obviously.

I nod and take off to go home, grinning at how cool I am. I get to make a choice tomorrow, and it sure as hell ain't gonna be Selfless.

I walk home 'cause I don't want my parents to get suspicious.

When I think about it, the Selfless are very cool. They do all their shit without being asked to. Augustus helps old dudes with their grocery. My mother renovates the city. My dad takes care of the council. Everyone's so cool with their jobs.

Me? I wanna get the hell out of here.

As I walk, I see a bunch of factionless territory. Usually, Augustus is all like, "Don't go there, the factionless are bad. they'll try to murder you, or rape you, or throw you off a bus," and blah blah blah. All Gus does is piss me off, so I rebel  by walking right through that territory.

This dude asks me for food.  I am not giving my food to a smelly factionless guy on the road. I shake my head.

"Gimme food, man!" he yells. I shrug and he grabs me from behind.

"What you doing on the streets, pretty little thing? I don't care how plain you are, you seem hot otherwise..."

"I'm sixteen," I say, elbowing the dude and stepping away.

He coughs a little and looks at me. "Selfless going on Strong I see. You gotta choose tomorrow, yeah?"

I nod.

"Choose Strong. They're the really cool ones."

"Tell me something I don't know," I say, grinning back at the man and walking on home.

~~~~~