Divergent ~ Chapter Six

CHAPTER SIX

~~~~~

People gasped alright when I changed faction. I even heard a, "We ain't taking no Selfless bitch with us!" somewhere in the back, but I ignored it and walked over to the guys in black with a determined expression. Someone dared to boo before Marcus quietened down the crowd. Finally, the last girl makes the choice, and we start to leave first. I feel awesome already, even though everyone grey in Selfless stares at me disapprovingly.

I catch my father's glance, and he looks like he's going to stare me to death. My mother, on the other hand, is grinning. I flash a grin back. Man, she's cool.

All the faction transfers are pooled over to one side of the dissipating Strong group. I hear some ex-Smart guy's teeth chattering, and find myself wondering -- of rthe very first time -- what exactly waits for me at the Strong HQ. This, this is why I'm not Smart. Should've thought about this before... Dipshit. 

Suddenly, everyone starts running down the staircase, and I wanna scream my head off. I just climbed twenty floors, just so I can run down them again? Fudging bullshit. Still, I don't protest. For the Strong, this is an act of wildness, not of, like, being nice.

By the time we reach the ground floor, I'm too breathless to pause for a moment and love the feeling. Running down that building felt like running towards freedom, and all I wanna scream at all the Selfless, "SEE YA LATER, SUCKAS!"  But I don't.

Soon enough, I can hear the rhythm of the approaching train. "Don't tell me we've to climb onto that," I hear a Straightforward transfer say. I find myself grinning madly. "Well, of course we do." Times like these, I'm grateful that I spent my time drooling over the hotties from Strong at school. I feel myself preparing myself for jumping into the train. Along with a few tranfer initiates, I jog and throw myself sideways, grabbing a railing and hanging out limply because of my tiny size. FInally, a Straightforward girl puls me in. Panting, I mutter thanks.

A Serene and Smart tanfer got left behind, which means hey didn't pass initiation. They're factionless now. I grin. Interesting indeed.

The Straightforward girl who pulled me in asked me if I was alright. I nodded yes.

"I'm Kristina with a 'K'," she says, and I don't understand why she has to specify that. Then I remember that fanfiction must always contain unusual spellings of ordinary names and nod.

"I'm Beepiss." She nods and we shake hands, and the very act makes me excited.

We both sit down and start discussing the Strong HQ. She doesn't know where it is either. "It's like they pop out of a hole in the ground," she comments, and I laugh. It feels good to laugh.

~~~~~

 "They're jumping off!"

I snap awake, yawning. How long have we travelled for? Who cares? I stretch and get up, Kristina beside me doing the same, and we both look ahead. It's true. The String are just jumping off, without a care in the world, like they do this everyday.

Oh wait. They do.

"We have to jump," someone declares.

"No shit, Sherlock," I retort, looking sideways to the Smart transfer. He's considerably tall, has really curly hair, sharp cheekbones, a pale complexion and grey eyes. He's wearing a dark blue coat with a scarf and blue formals inside.

"The name's Ben," he said, taking off his gloves and extending his hand.

"Screw you," Kristina says.