Divergent ~ Chapter Four

CHAPTER FOUR

~~~~~

We Selfless basically live in the most boring kinds of homes ever.

They're grey and square and stupid with windows only for ventilation and a door only to make sure that you can walk in and out. But that's basically it. Being Selfless sucks. I hate it.

Augustus comes and every Selfless kid there starts talking. "Beepiss, you okay? you left early..."

I nod and shrug. "I wanted to vomit a little after the test so I go and threw up a little in the factionless section on the way home."

I'm sure it's a convincing and partially truthful lie, but Augustus only looks at me disapprovingly. What a dick.

I convince the rest of the Selfless kids who seem totally cool with this fact. My brother starts to flirt with our neighbour in a way that is shocking to even the Selfless: he stares at her boobs and she just grins. I look away, enjoying the Selflessness while it lasts. Also, she doesn't have boobs good enough for my viewing.

We stand outside our door as our neighbors head to their own home and Augustus turns to me. "What happened? Really? I know you didn't throw up."

"I'm not gonna tell you," I say in a singsong voice. He gives me another disapproving look. I roll my eyes and he sighs.

We get home and I groan because I have to cook. I do, and then Augustus helps me set up the table and our parents come home and talk about the aptitude test. "Something went wrong during one of them," Mommy says.

"I don't know anything about it so don't ask," I say, gobbling down food. Augustus glares and we all just eat dinner.

In the middle, Mommy suddenly asks Daddy what's wrong. He just sighs and says, "Those asshats at Smart wrote shit about us Selfless people, criticizing our government because the system of governance here is that only the Selfless can rule this city."

Augustus and I nod. Obviously.

"The report," he continues, "says that Marcus, my colleague who is the boss, abused his handsome kid who you will meet later in this story." Well duh, because that wasn't inconspicuous at all.

We finish eating and Augustus and I go to our rooms because tonight is supposed to be about 'thinking'.

Augustus touches my shoulder lightly before we go to our rooms. "Think about our family, okay?"

I shrug so his hand falls off my shoulder and go to my room, but I can't help but think about what he said. Maybe I shouldchoose Selfless, for my Mommy's sake --

Nah. No way bitches. Tomorrow is independence day.

~~~~~