Chapter 23

I was in my inner world. The buildings were there and repaired. It started to rain. I was wondering how it ended up like this. Weren't the buildings crumbling? Why was it raining this time?

I saw Zangetsu standing a few buildings over, looking at the sky. I went over to him.

He spoke, "You should hurry up before he does too much damage." He turned towards me, "Shiro is probably going to kill your friend if you don't hurry up."

I was confused, then it hit me. The sword through my chest, the blinding light. "But why would Rukia do that?" I wondered out loud. I shook my head determined to go back.

I tried to take over my body again, but there was something preventing me from doing so. It wasn't Shiro, not exactly. Whatever it was that was keeping me in was getting weaker. I had a vague sense of what was going on.

From what I could tell, I was fighting Rukia. And I was winning. I started to panic, hoping that whatever was keeping me in would go away already.

I started to panic, "Stop it! I don't want to fight!"

Suddenly the resistance stopped and I was able to control my body again.

But it was too late. My sword was piercing her center. I stood there in shock, unable to move. I was only able to release my sword. I watched as she fell to her knees, coughing up blood. She forced herself to look down at her wounds. She gripped my sword, pulling it out of her chest.

I bent down next to her, my hands shaking violently. I tore off a part of my clothes in attempt to use them as some sort of bandage. They quickly absorbed the blood. I was panicking, unsure of how I could help her.

She grabbed my arm, "I'm sorry, Ichigo." She choked on her blood.

I shook my head, "You don't have anything to apologize for."

"Before I came here, Urahara gave me a special blade," she struggled to say, "It was supposed to be used in case Aizen had been controlling you against your will." She coughed up more blood before continuing, "He warned me to make sure that you were in fact being controlled by Aizen before using it, or else unintended consequences will happen." She stared straight into my eyes, "When you told me, that you wouldn't be coming back with us, I thought for sure you were being controlled."

"That's enough talking," I said. Then I realized, "Orihime, she could heal you!"

I tried to pick her up. Carrying her princess style, I carried her inside the room. There was no one there.

"Why isn't she here?" tears fell as I sunk in despair.

"It's fine," she smiled.

"It's not fine!" my tears were streaming down my face, "you're about to die!" I let my head rest on hers, "And it's all my fault."

She shook her head, "No it's my fault, I didn't think you would actually fall in love with Aizen. That led to this." Her breathing slowed down as the light in her eyes started to dim.

"No, no, no, don't die on me!" I begged. "Don't die on me!" I gripped her tighter, "Rukia, please hold on."

Her body went limp in my arms. Everything shut down. My friend who I owe so many things, died by my hands. I lost track of how long I was there crying.

It doesn't feel like very long before someone came into the room.

I felt them place a hand on my shoulder. I didn't, couldn't, respond. They tried to pry Rukia out of my arms. When finally did, they wrapped their arms around me.

"It's alright, I'm here for you," they said. It was Aizen.

I just sat there, being comforted by his warmth until I fell asleep.