Stuck

Something was lodged in my throat as I stepped out of the bosses room and my lungs felt tight. I could only breathe in short and quick breaths. 

"Are you okay?" Test subject 1215 asked, "It's always tough to get your head around the first time." A soft flicker of a smile appeared on the corners of her mouth.

"I do get it. But is there no other way? Do we have to spend our lives here?"

She shrugged her shoulders and flicked her hair behind her shoulder.

She whispered, "Come on 2206, I have something to show you."

We entered the 'Fir' room where we could chill out. The room was decorated with trees and lakes and a very large mountain at the back. It looked beautiful but artificial.

"1215, are the bosses always that KSHHHHHHHHHH lovely?"

She nodded, sadly.

"I have a friend called Willow. Do you know where she is?" 

She shrugged her shoulders.

We sat down at 1215's favourite place which was a spot where the lush, soft, green grass was subtly wet from the pond that sat a few meters away. She plonked herself down and picked a few flowers and started playing with them.

"So let me get this right." I started

"Hm?"

Slowly, I said, "So we are test subjects for the whole world because the bosses are developing a cure for all diseases but it can only work with teenagers. Therefore, we are sacrificing our lives for the whole world. Why is no one protesting? It's not fair."

1215 slowly looked up and sighed, "There is nowhere to escape. The whole world thinks that we were killed by accidents, terrorist attacks, school shootings etc, you name it. No one knows we are alive, no one is going to attempt to break us out. Also, even if you try, something bad will happen. The last person wasn't given food for two days." Her face faltered.

"But-" I stammered, "they won't find our bodies. So how do they think we're dead?"

She shrugged. "There are loads of theories," 1215 whispered, "some people think they put realistic fake bodies in place, some think the government is working with the bosses, some think the bosses are part of the government." My eyes widened.

"Let's get out." I stood strong. Tears suddenly started to spill out of 1215's eyes but her face didn't change.

1215 gave a half-hearted chuckle, half-whimpering, "There's no point to even try."

"But-"

"They have cameras EVERYWHERE. Microphones EVERYWHERE. It's impossible."

"What about up there?" I pointed at the top of the mountain.

She chuckled, "You're losing your mind, I don't question it though. This place is tough." She wiped away the last of her tears.

Maybe I was losing my mind, the bosses were str- KSHHHHHHHHHHH lovely.

We laid on top of the wet grass, pointing at the fake clouds and fake landscape. The fake sun was setting and the sun brushed our faces with its hazy glow. Fireflies soon appeared.

A scream was heard in the distance. A blood-curling scream that made me and 1215 shoot up and looked towards the scream. The scream sounded too familiar and it twisted my guts. Soon something was stuck in my throat as I tried to scream for Willow.