chapter 6: Two a.m.

I wake up the next morning before anyone else. Its eerily quiet in the penthouse living room. I slowly make my way down to the kitchen, grabbing a meg and starting my day with a warm cup of coffee. The steam comes up from the cup blowing onto my face. It feels absolutely wonderful. Bringing my cup of black coffee down to the couch, I sit. I don't turn on the TV or the radio, Id rather not wake anyone else up yet honestly. It feels nice to have a moment alone after living with so many people, contrary to me being by myself.

I take a long drink of the warm liquid not caring if it burns my tongue or throat. It tastes a little odd for my liking but eh caffeine helps me get through an entire day with Nine and eight. I sit there for about an hour before anyone else stirs. Guess I got up earlier than I thought. I don't turn my head to see who it is but My ears turn on listening to tell. Its too heavy to be little Ella or Sarah, but too light to be nine or Eight. There aren't any slipper patters following so it isn't Marina. And It bare feet against the hard wood floor so I know it isn't Sam. That leaves...

"Six?" Johns voice cuts through the air like a warm knife through butter.

"Mhm?" I mumble waving my hand over the couch so he can see my hand. John walks over sitting on the opposite side of the couch as me. He tries to have a straight face but I can tell somethings bothering him.

"To be honest, I didn't think anyone would be up... I hoped no one would be up..."

"Why?" I ask.

"I mean, not many people wake up at two in the morning."

"Shit is it really only two? I thought it was around four or five." I say suddenly unable to keep my eyes open. "Wishful thinking I guess. Why are you up?"

"I guess I just needed some time to think. A moment to breath without someone yelling or screaming."

"I hear ya, I guess things do get a little bit hectic around here."

"...Do you ever wish we could go back? Back to... back to when it was just you me and Sam on the run... just the three of us on the road?"

"Sometimes I do, Sometimes I wish we could go back to it just being the three of us. Just us training and messing around, having fun, but then I think about how much better off we are with everyone else. How much stronger we've all become now that we're together. If it we're just you Sam and I, we never would have met Marina or Ella or eight or nine. No matter how badly I want to go back, I wouldn't trade this reality for anything." I say to him honestly, "Plus! if it were just us three on the road again, you never would've been reunited with little Ms. Sarah Hart" I say laughing teasing him at the end. He doesn't look at me, just frowns looking at his lap. "...What? Are you alright?"

"...Sarah broke up with me while you guys were playing hide and seek." I'm completely shocked, I assumed they had an argument but I never thought in a million years that theyd actually.. break up.

"I'm so sorry John I- I didn't know... Are you alright?" He shrugs leaning back.

"I guess this had to happen at some point, I just assumed it would be because I was protecting her..."

"It wasn't because of that? What happened then?"

"I... don't know... I guess she just couldn't take the pressure of living like a fugitives anymore." I can tell hes lying. For someone whos had to lie their entire life he sure as hell sucks at it.

"John-" I start but he cuts me off.

"I don't want to talk about it anymore six. Drop it. She's gone. its over."

I sigh looking at him from the corner of my eye. He's obviously hurting and I cant do anything about it.

"...Why are you up early then?" He asks after awhile.

"Oh uh... just... the usual nightmare..." I reply awkwardly. "I'm sorry I know you wanted to be alone right now, I think I'm gonna go up to the roof, shadow box a little maybe.. I hope you feel better John." I get up smiling a little. He barely acknowledges me except for a slight nod as I make my way upstairs. Right before I get out of earshot distance, I add, "If she doesn't think you're worth fighting for, then she isn't worth it period."