Big Brothers On Deck

(Ray POV)

The weekend passed, it was cool. Domi and I worked on our English project a little and chilled out. Monday morning, I went to school early so I could turn in my homework. I was at my locker, putting my afternoon supplies away, when someone tapped my shoulder. I turn. Craig and Jacob. ****. What did they want?

 “Yes?” I asked, shutting my locker.

 “A’ight, listen. We’ve noticed how you and Nique are now…” Jacob says.

 I adjust my bag and lean on my locker, keeping a cool stance. “Okay..?”

 “Are you planning on keeping up this nice behavior? Or…turning back into a dxck?” Craig asks.

 “I plan on keeping up the good behavior. Look, I know I did Domi wrong growing up. But…I’m started to like her and I want us to be friends.” I said. Or…more than that. But..the ball’s in her court. She knows how I feel.

 “You like her?” Jacob asks, sounding like he didn’t believe me.

 I nod.

 “Since when?” Craig asks.

 “A few days ago.” I said.

 They exchanged looks.

 “A’ight. We’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.” Jacob says.

 “But, know this. You hurt Nique, in any way, shape, or form…you might as well transfer schools.” Craig says.

 Damn. See, this is why you don’t like girls who have big bros and guy best friends. ‘Cause, if you hurt her…the nxggas come for you. And..Domi got Craig, Jacob, AND her dad. Add Tyler to the mix, that’s worse. And…her cousin Zee? Yeah. I **** this up? I’m dead. Damn… “A’ight, man.” I said.

 We all stood there.

“So…” I cleared my throat.

 “Nique likes you…” Craig suddenly says.

 “What?” I asked.

 “She and Zee were having “girl talk” and whatever. I heard them talking, she told Zee that she likes you, but she’s scared you might change." Craig says. “Look, Ray. You seem like you could be cool. I don’t see why Jake, you, me, and Trey can’t be friends. This week, Nique was smiling and laughing, being happy. That’s the first time I’ve seen her so happy, in…a long time.” Craig says.

 All Craig wants if for his sister to happy. Because of me, she was never happy. I was always making her cry and stuff. But…I wasn’t like that no more.

“If y’all do end up together. Don’t hurt her…okay?” Jacob says.

 “Yeah.” I said.

 “We just want her to be happy.” Craig says. “And…if she’s happy with you. Then…we’re happy too.”

 I nod, completely understanding. “So…we cool, now?” I asked.

 “Yeah.” They said.

 “Y’all wanna ball with Trey and me after school today?” I asked.

 “Why? So you can get beat?” Craig asks.

 I laughed. “Nxgga, I was co-captain of the JV basketball team as a freshmen and captain as a sophomore. Plus I was captain of the Varsity team last year. As a JUNIOR. Y’all ain’t got nothing on me.”

 They laughed.

 “We’ll see.” Jacob says.

 I shake my head. “Don’t complain when I send y’all home crying to mommy.”

 “A’ight, Ray.” Craig laughs. “We’ll catch you later.”

 “See ya’.” I said. We all dap and they head off.

Maybe…senior year would be different. I hoped so. Things were changing. Hopefully…for the better.